Looking for a paint forum

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

evil16v

Looking for a paint forum

#1 Post by evil16v » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:18 am

Any of you guys frequent a GOOD paint forum? I considering doing my own paint in a few months. I have a guy here local that is AWSOME. THe problem is my financial situation for the last two years is in the dumpster. :nutkick: Unless something changes, my only chance of getting this car one color is probably myself :scratch:
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

HAULIN' IT

Re: Looking for a paint forum

#2 Post by HAULIN' IT » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Evil, What kind of info are you looking for? I started working at a paint distributor in high school & then went to work in the auto body industry. I'm an owner of a shop now. I've been at it 21 years now. I'd be glad to help you out with material recomendations or proceedures. Whatever you need...just ask! Autobody work is like allot of things, you ask 5 people the same question...you'll end up with at least 4 different answers.
I like to see guys having interest in doing their own vehicle (what seems easy to many, is soon found out to require alot of skill & practice ;) ) No really, I like to see guys work through it & have something to be proud of. If I can be of help, I gladly will. Lorne

bracketracer

#3 Post by bracketracer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:32 pm

I had the same problem with building a new car so I tackled the paint my self with some help from others that do it for a living...Painted it in my garage... Check it out!!!

evil16v

#4 Post by evil16v » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56 pm

HAULIN' IT wrote:Evil, What kind of info are you looking for? I started working at a paint distributor in high school & then went to work in the auto body industry. I'm an owner of a shop now. I've been at it 21 years now. I'd be glad to help you out with material recomendations or proceedures. Whatever you need...just ask! Autobody work is like allot of things, you ask 5 people the same question...you'll end up with at least 4 different answers.
I like to see guys having interest in doing their own vehicle (what seems easy to many, is soon found out to require alot of skill & practice ;) ) No really, I like to see guys work through it & have something to be proud of. If I can be of help, I gladly will. Lorne
Thanks Lorne.. I appreciate it! There IS a part of me that want to do this myself, besides the financial woes. I have done everything else on this car myself... why stop now?( I have probably watched the corvette summer too many times - LOL!)

Here's the story. I'm still a few months out from this, I'm certain. this would be planning stages. I want to have all the money in my back pocket before i even start. I figure this would be a good period of time to study and develop a plan and gather pieces. :scratch:

The car is a 70 Buick GS with unpainted NOS fenders and the rear filler panel/ window channel has already been repaired by the above mentioned guy (looks great). Quarters are probably fine but i have yet to strip paint to verify(it was an Arizona car). I Have enough compressor(80 gal/ two stage/7hp Baldor continuous duty), but probably need to rig up a drier, coalescing, and maybe plumb the garage for a little distance in between. I don't have a gun that i consider up for the job. I am thinking an HVLP and a jamb gun. I need some guidance there. What system do you use? I have a lot of source for ppg products, plus my cousin uses ppg and may be able to help if i get stuck. I don't want to rely on him though.

Would like to seal the bare metal with the best primer possible.. I like dp epoxy, but have heard to use a self etching primer (I have heard both ways). then would like to my body work on top of that. BUT some people say to fill then prime. Which is right?

I kinda just need lined out with an order of process, what material part #s, and advise on what gun(s) more than anything.
Last edited by evil16v on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

evil16v

#5 Post by evil16v » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:57 pm

bracketracer wrote:I had the same problem with building a new car so I tackled the paint my self with some help from others that do it for a living...Painted it in my garage... Check it out!!!

Looks great! That is encouraging.
Rob

bracketracer

#6 Post by bracketracer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:46 am

It is alot of work and time.. Attention to detail is important cause if you can see it in primer
it will be there with the paint on it!!!

I did use epoxy for a base coat/primer and over that I used a high build primer..The epoxy was great
as you can dry sand it or wet sand it but it does need a good few days to dry...

As far as a spray gun I just had a HVLP cheepey was called a primer gun but you will need a
2.0 nozzle for the epoxy and primer....

It's a project but worth it as many don't believe me that I painted it in my Garage!!!

big block nova

#7 Post by big block nova » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:35 am

painting is what i do for a living. I do alot of custom paintig on bikes and show cars any info u need i will be glad to help

evil16v

#8 Post by evil16v » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm

What are general guidelines for tip sizing? I have to admit i have done some of this before... but probably not correctly :mrgreen:
Rob

bracketracer

#9 Post by bracketracer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:07 am

Rob, I think a 1.4 tip I used for spraying the paint...I sprayed all my front end strut arms , pedals,4-link bars and anything that is a bolt on piece. I swiped my wifes portable clothes rack and made hooks to hole them and went ahead and sprayed them with a single stage urethane paint...

One thing that you must have is a real good mask that fits you good as the paint is some nasty stuff
for sure!!!

Here is a pic just before the chassis was painted. When I tell people that it's paint they tell me no way!!!

evil16v

#10 Post by evil16v » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:22 am

Any system preferances?(Brand) Like i say i am partial to ppg because availablity but there are others around i am sure.
Rob

vegaracer

#11 Post by vegaracer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:29 pm

I just painted my bike with BASF and it came out looking pretty good.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

bracketracer

#12 Post by bracketracer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:25 pm

evil16v wrote:Any system preferances?(Brand) Like i say i am partial to ppg because availablity but there are others around i am sure.

Rob I used PPG's "Shop Line" it's kind of there low buck no thrills paint can I guess. They tell me that there is less pigment in the paint. Maybe some one here can tell you more about it. But anyway I was happy with it and it did cover real good and flowed nice. There is quiet a difference in price and the red that I sprayed the car with was $95 a quart :shock: :shock: . And then had to clear it after that :scratch: ....It won't be cheep to do for sure....

evil16v

#13 Post by evil16v » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:11 am

bracketracer wrote:
evil16v wrote:Any system preferances?(Brand) Like i say i am partial to ppg because availablity but there are others around i am sure.

Rob I used PPG's "Shop Line" it's kind of there low buck no thrills paint can I guess. They tell me that there is less pigment in the paint. Maybe some one here can tell you more about it. But anyway I was happy with it and it did cover real good and flowed nice. There is quiet a difference in price and the red that I sprayed the car with was $95 a quart :shock: :shock: . And then had to clear it after that :scratch: ....It won't be cheep to do for sure....
Oh i figure i'm going to be in for about $1500 all total... I hope...
Rob

HAULIN' IT

#14 Post by HAULIN' IT » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:48 pm

What color are you going to paint it? The color may/will have a say-so in what materials I would recommend.
I agree with some of the others, if your not used to doing bodywork & painting... the best/most expensive products are not what you want, some "middle of the road" stuff will work fine & to be honest, most problems or flaws you end up with will be "not the products fault" ;) Have a good one! Lorne

evil16v

#15 Post by evil16v » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:23 am

HAULIN' IT wrote:What color are you going to paint it? The color may/will have a say-so in what materials I would recommend.
I agree with some of the others, if your not used to doing bodywork & painting... the best/most expensive products are not what you want, some "middle of the road" stuff will work fine & to be honest, most problems or flaws you end up with will be "not the products fault" ;) Have a good one! Lorne
Looking at Black.... I had thoughts of a GSX clone (Saturn Yellow and blcak strips), but through reasing looks as hard as the black with different challenges. So i would say black, the color I really wanted anyway.

I can identify with the most expensive product not necessarily doing the best job. It will be a matter of ME DOING THE BEST JOB. I want the system that matches my skills and the task at hand the best. PLUS...I am really concerned about getting this car sealed up the best way possible.
Rob