Looking for a paint forum

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

mytmouz

Re: Looking for a paint forum

#16 Post by mytmouz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:57 am

Whoowee! I wouldn't recommend black for your first paint job. The darker the color, the more the flaws show. Metallics are kinda rough on a beginner also. Back when I had my shop, I used a base coat/clear coat system by Acme that was pretty user friendly. I have always felt that the paint was the easy part. The body work and prep are the monsters. I usually recommend white to the first timers, but if you are patient and don't mind redoing it a couple of times (usually) the black will be nice...
Trucks are for haulin...

bracketracer

#17 Post by bracketracer » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:00 am

mytmouz wrote:Whoowee! I wouldn't recommend black for your first paint job. The darker the color, the more the flaws show. Metallics are kinda rough on a beginner also. Back when I had my shop, I used a base coat/clear coat system by Acme that was pretty user friendly. I have always felt that the paint was the easy part. The body work and prep are the monsters. I usually recommend white to the first timers, but if you are patient and don't mind redoing it a couple of times (usually) the black will be nice...

WOW I agree!!! With black your going to have your hands full for sure!! They tell me that black is
the cheapest color out there but prep work will have to be flawless or you will see it for sure!!!
Looking down the side will show every wave in your body work and it won't look good.. Take a look at some
older black cars the have been done and you will see. some may lok real good and they will have been done by a talented body guy that knows how to "work his magic"....Good luck

evil16v

#18 Post by evil16v » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Ha Ha!!! I was waiting for that! Ya I know... I am asking for it. The thing is for what guys around here want to do it.. I can F*** it up 3 times and still be ahead.

But seriously, THat is why I am making know assumptions and asking questions ahead of time. I will spend more time doing home work on this project than any other. then many hours more on the car before a drop of color flows :smt002
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

evil16v

#19 Post by evil16v » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:36 pm

say... while I am here... what do you home guys use for draft? down? cross? positive pressure? negative pressure? I am seeing lots of contradicting remarks. the 20x20 section of my garage looks like a prime place to add ventilation for this. lots of space above for a huge blower and other ventilation needs. My home work so far shows the main goal is to have pressure differential between each end of the "booth", so as to not be turbulent over the car. I take it you can wind up quit a cloud of paint mist suspended in the air.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

mytmouz

#20 Post by mytmouz » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:04 am

My home booth was a fan in the window blowing out... Don't do that....
Trucks are for haulin...

evil16v

#21 Post by evil16v » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:40 am

mytmouz wrote:My home booth was a fan in the window blowing out... Don't do that....
Check. LOL!
Rob

HAULIN' IT

#22 Post by HAULIN' IT » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Wow Black, yea, your going for it. I agree, I don't like the sounds of a inexperianced guy going for that, but that's up to you. Not only the time/skill involved before the painting...the sanding & buffing later to end up with a nice job will be very testing.
With that said, I would like to make a sugestion...Paint the car in pieces. I'm gathering the car is together now, Right? Spend some time looking at the fit of the fenders, doors, ect. fix what is needed, then do as much work with the car in this condition (fenders bolted to the inners, ect.) you may need to take parts on & off a time or two to end up with the jambs properly preped, but in the end you will spend less time than edging, masking, re-sanding, ect. Paint the shell one day, then the trunk (put it on) & then the doors (put them on). This way your able to concentrate on a part or two at a time. If you start painting & something doesn't go right (compressor can't keep up for the whole car? Too much overspray?) you don't have a BIG problem, just a part or so to figure out & move on
We do 500+ cars a year this way & yes, when I told my guys what I wanted to do they said "But we'll chip them trying to put it together" & yes , a few...just a few in something like six years. Try it! Lorne

evil16v

#23 Post by evil16v » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:31 pm

HAULIN' IT wrote:Wow Black, yea, your going for it. I agree, I don't like the sounds of a inexperianced guy going for that, but that's up to you. Not only the time/skill involved before the painting...the sanding & buffing later to end up with a nice job will be very testing.
With that said, I would like to make a sugestion...Paint the car in pieces. I'm gathering the car is together now, Right? Spend some time looking at the fit of the fenders, doors, ect. fix what is needed, then do as much work with the car in this condition (fenders bolted to the inners, ect.) you may need to take parts on & off a time or two to end up with the jambs properly preped, but in the end you will spend less time than edging, masking, re-sanding, ect. Paint the shell one day, then the trunk (put it on) & then the doors (put them on). This way your able to concentrate on a part or two at a time. If you start painting & something doesn't go right (compressor can't keep up for the whole car? Too much overspray?) you don't have a BIG problem, just a part or so to figure out & move on
We do 500+ cars a year this way & yes, when I told my guys what I wanted to do they said "But we'll chip them trying to put it together" & yes , a few...just a few in something like six years. Try it! Lorne
There is still a possibility that it could be yellow, but the black stripes will be another Issue. Like I told my wife... I won't make up my mind until I've bought paint! :smt003
Do you think the yellow would be that much easier? Even with the stripes? (I'll attach a photo -- I think there is a masking kit available for it).

The fenders are NOS and where just slapped on to drive for awhile. They still need aligned and possibly "massaged" to match the doors and hood. I have not bought the hood yet it will most likely be a bolt on fiberglass cowl type. I think your right... That whole hood/fenders/doors area is the part I expect trouble with. I think that is step #1. (please correct me If i am wrong-- really) I would also like to follow your advice in painting those pieces off the car. I am wondering about drilling for a couple alignment pins(taper or roll) in the door hinges. Then I would be just realigning fenders and hood to the doors on final reassembly. Am I nuts?

These are the things i want to hear. Thanks again.

Below are the two options
Attachments
Saturn yellow GSX.jpg
Black GS2.jpg
Rob

bracketracer

#24 Post by bracketracer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:53 am

I like the Yellow with the black stripes....

vegaracer

#25 Post by vegaracer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 am

I like the yellow with the rally wheels. Now if you're running some kind of aftermarket wheel, I would maybe go for the black. All depends on the wheel/tire combo.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

dadnova

#26 Post by dadnova » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Maybe you can barter for it??

My freind found a painter that needed an engine built for his car, so my freind built the engine and the panter painted his car. Worked out great and each only had to spend a couple hundred.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

evil16v

#27 Post by evil16v » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:55 pm

vegaracer wrote:I like the yellow with the rally wheels. Now if you're running some kind of aftermarket wheel, I would maybe go for the black. All depends on the wheel/tire combo.
I agree with that... I actually want just some draglites, which go well with the black and not the yellow scheme. That would be what i would run at the the track for sure. I would think something with a black center would work good with the yellow and black.... like torque thrust II's with the center painted black. then again those would look good with the black also.

sorry for the slow post... i thought i already replied witht he above along time ago
Rob

evil16v

#28 Post by evil16v » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:11 pm

dadnova wrote:Maybe you can barter for it??

My freind found a painter that needed an engine built for his car, so my freind built the engine and the panter painted his car. Worked out great and each only had to spend a couple hundred.
:mrgreen: he already has a 830 HP(DYNOED) buick motor... Hahahaha.

I don't thin k i have anything to offer him there. LOL

It's a good thought... but it won't work here. I would REALLY rather have him do it. The way my finances and the economic "downturn" have gone... I will never be able to afford it.

I have backed off of it some. Need to get the Suburban sold so can buy equipment. blower fan, deccicant dryer( sp?), better gun, need to build paint booth.

Anyone Need a '98 K1500 Suburban for about 3K? It is a bit nicer than the 3/4 ton Suburban I have replaced it with (went to an enclosed trailer). It's good for an honest 6500# trailer with the 3.73's. Pulls an open trailer and car nicely. Pulled the empty enclosed in the picture home fine at 4300# after i bought it.(YA.. it's that heavy)
Attachments
DSC01241-1.jpg
Rob