Speedway bender

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

ERV JR

Speedway bender

#1 Post by ERV JR » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:25 pm

has anyone used the speedway tube bender? if so can you post pics of the cage, i want to see how they came out using the 7" radius die . I dont want to spend alot of money at the moment for the fact I want to keep my start up cost low. and there bender is a decent price, and i can add the air over hyd ram for $80

TheBandit

Re: Speedway bender

#2 Post by TheBandit » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:09 am

I have not personally used the speedway motors tube bender (I assume you're talking about this one below), but I do have one concern. The roller type of counter die at the bottom can dent/wrinkle thinner wall tubing.

A better type of bender will use a either a follower block or wiper die. The follower block style will produce the best quality bend without scratching the outter surface, but can sometimes limit you to wider seperation between adjacent bends. A wiper die will also produce good bends, but can scratch the outside of the tubing if not properly lubricated.

The Pro-Tools HMP200 below is similar in functionality to the speedway motors bender, but uses a follower block. This will produce a superior bend to a roller style like the speedway bender:
They offer free plans to build that bender yourself or you can buy it from them ready to go, but it is more expensive than the speedway bender.

The Pro-Tools 105 is a popular bender that uses wiper dies. This bender is very versatile because it can produce up to 180 degree bends and many die sizes are available. If I were to recommend a bender for entry level cage building, I'd be looking at the PT 105.

Another thing you may want to consider is design software. I highly recommend Bend Tech software. Either EZ3D or preferably Pro is great for doing cage work and really takes the guess work out, especially for a first timer. Take a look at www.2020ssi.com. You wouldn't believe how much faster and easier it is to build a cage.
The Bandit - 1970 Nova
SB355, 9.7:1, XE274, Perf RPM Heads & Int, Demon 650DP, Mallory VI, 1 5/8, TH400, 10" BTE
12bolt 3.73posi , Slide-A-Links, multileaf, 275/60R15 GT Qualifiers on 15x8.5 Convo Pros