Hammer Tone Paint

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Hammer Tone Paint

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 am

After my issue with the semi-gloss black paint on the interior panels in my Camaro, I decided to possibly go a different route.

Has anyone painted their interior panels with hammer tone paint? I've seen a lot of pictures of the roll bars/cages painted this way but how about the sheet-metal/ tubs, rear firewall, etc... and is using a paint brush better then using a spray can?

If anyone has any pictures of this, can you either send them to me or post them.

As I was telling Mike Peters, I'm just not happy with the appearance and I won't be able to sleep until this gets fixed.

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Mike Peters

Re: Hammer Tone Paint

#2 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 am

Hey Bruce, our fellow D/S member Adam Wright used the Hammertone on his cage and was very pleased. I would think using it on panels will net the same results. You will want to use a foam brush to apply. This will prevent the bristle marks and the paint will dry to a textured finish with no brush marks. As with anything, you might test it on a spare surface before the final application.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#3 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:14 am

Adam has the Camaro, right? I saw pictures of it and it looks nice.

Do you know anyone that has used it out of a spray can?

What I'm worried about is using a brush on such a large area like the floor panels between and in front of the tubs and getting a decent look, so this is why I was favoring a spray can.

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

79 Camaro

#4 Post by 79 Camaro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Mike is correct. Use a foam brush to paint it on. This stuff is pretty tricky to apply. Its best to apply one thick coat and if you miss a spot then you have to wait til it totally dries before painting over it because this stuff gets really tacky very quick..

I used the spray can stuff on a few things and I didnt like it as well as the brush on.. It didnt have near the cool hammer tone finish. We also painted the whole floor pan on my car to prevent any rust from starting and we use a big foam brush for that.
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks for the help, guys.

Adam, when doing the floor boards, can you get the paint to flow equally and give it a nice appearance without seeing any types of streaks?
The area I'm doing is the floor section between the tubs, in front of the tubs and also the rear firewall.

How comes everyone is from Kansas area? Did I miss the memo about moving out there?

Thanks again.

Bruce