Sealing Wheels Tubs

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Sealing Wheels Tubs

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:47 am

What do you guys use to seal the wheel tubs to the quarter panels?

I'm looking for something that is paintable.

Would seam sealer work or should I look for a paintable silicone?

Also, I have heard to use rubberized undercoat to spray under the car.

Any opinions on that?

Thanks

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

TheBandit

Re: Sealing Wheels Tubs

#2 Post by TheBandit » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

On the wheeltubs I built for my 4Runner/crockcrawler, I used the spray-on rubberized undercoat on the bottom and didn't seal the inside. It works great. I've never seen a hint of moisture on the interior and I've had that thing sunk in mud, river crossings, rain, etc. It doesn't rattle or vibrate either. I will likely do the same thing on my Nova when I mini-tub it. If I were doing a full interior, I might run some paintable silicone along the edges on the inside, but I don't like working with automotive seam sealer - the stuff is messy and difficult to make it look good.
The Bandit - 1970 Nova
SB355, 9.7:1, XE274, Perf RPM Heads & Int, Demon 650DP, Mallory VI, 1 5/8, TH400, 10" BTE
12bolt 3.73posi , Slide-A-Links, multileaf, 275/60R15 GT Qualifiers on 15x8.5 Convo Pros

bracketracer

#3 Post by bracketracer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Bruce, I cut some fiberglass sheets and mixed up some resin and glassed them in. Looks good and still holding after 4 years..Paint them or spray on some undercoating...I just went with the paint it looks good and if you need to get them off you won't have to deal with the undercoating goo........ :mrgreen:

DOTracer

#4 Post by DOTracer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Urethane seam sealer...you need something flexible to allow for vibration/expansion/contraction/flex, etc. Do not use silicone.