Window net and welding question

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

1320quick

Window net and welding question

#1 Post by 1320quick » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:06 pm

Two question for you guys. First off, my car has a 4130 chromoly cage installed. I know it has to be TIG welded. That was all done by the shop that installed it so we are all good on that. I need to add a tab to the crossbar for the shoulder belts and a couple of tabs for the window net. Can I just MIG them or do I need to have them TIG'ed as well????

Retrofitting a new window net into the car and it's smaller than the original one that was installed. The front of the window net does not come all the way down to the door bar. What's the best way to mount the front lower window net bar to the door bar? There is a gap of about 4" or so. I've seen some that use some type of cable and that seems like it might be easiest. Is there anything special about the cable or is it just stuff I can get at the local hardware store??/

Thanks
Ron
71 Nova

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:08 pm

Since those tabs are safety related, it's a very good idea to have them tigged since you have a CM cage... don't take any shortcuts with that.

On the window net, I have a tab welded to the floorboard then use an aircraft type cable with the aluminum deals you smash to hold the loop. I don't think the cable is anything special, it's that multistrand stuff but don't know about the specs, it came with my kit.

After finishing mine up, I wished I had done it differently though. Because the cable runs to the inside of the door bar, it pulls the net in some and is close to my arm. I would like to redo that setup sometime and use a fixed mount on the door bar and have a net made to fit that opening to get a little more arm clearace. You don't want to have that mount outside the surface of the doorbar though.

In a day or so we'll have a new tech article published talking about this subject with Bob Stroud from Stroud Safety that addresses Window Nets and their mounts a little bit.

CoMax Racing

Welding question

#3 Post by CoMax Racing » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:44 pm

You don't ever want to mig weld on a 4130 cage, take the car back to where you had the cage installed and have them put all the tabs on for you. You also want to get the 4130 tabs as well. As a rule of thumb in my shop we don't weld mild steel to chromemoly.

jones_performance

#4 Post by jones_performance » Mon May 08, 2006 12:01 am

dont bother with a tab for the shoulder harnesses as the bolt on y style are not legal for nhra anymore, best to use wraparounds.
Kevin