Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Penetrating Oils Compared

#1 Post by John_Heard » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 am

FYI - Might be handy...

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

mcdn81olds

Re: Penetrating Oils Compared

#2 Post by mcdn81olds » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:43 am

Wow who would've thought about acetone, we use it to get black marks & scuffs/small scratches off of white vinyl products. Thanks for the info I'm gonna have to change the u bolts & shackles on my work trailer & will try it then.

bracketracer

#3 Post by bracketracer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Acetone evaporates really fast so how does it do when mixed???

I also here that the d.e.p. is going to get that stuff off the shelf soon so stock up while you can.......

505r10

#4 Post by 505r10 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:31 am

John_Heard wrote:FYI - Might be handy...

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ..................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .................. 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..............214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.
Probably not very scientific. In the shop for 36 years I've found in my not so scientific study that a mixture of oxygen and acetylene works better than all of those if applied correctly. As far as the penetrants go Aero-Kroil is seriously hard to beat. We tried it years ago and it's called "Magic Oil" in my shop. I tried every name brand and not so name brand penetrating oil out there and it works very good. I've never tried the atf/acetone mix even though back when I first opened my shop I used an atf/kerosene mix which worked pretty good but is also pretty stinky.

Roger
582r10
soon