455 wiring troubles....

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

-SLEEPER-

455 wiring troubles....

#1 Post by -SLEEPER- » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 am

okay so i need help hookin up this car up to a flip-a-switch and push-a-button start but still be able to be legal to drive it down the road and have the altinator.. idc if its jimmy rigged all to hell..... anyone got any tips????

Jordan Knapp

sc racing

Re: 455 wiring troubles....

#2 Post by sc racing » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Need more info about whats going on with it now. Igniton and starter wiring easily could be separate from alternator.

-SLEEPER-

#3 Post by -SLEEPER- » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:31 am

well i was gunna go from the dist. to a switch then to the battery.... then from the starter a button or a momentary switch to the battery.... but its running an old school sbc alternator (atleast thats what it looks like)..... and i need it to still be street with lights and stuff..... so i figure hook it up like that but still have to use the key for the accessories.... for the ima have by buddy hook up one cuz he knows what hes doin..... but do you guys think this would work?? (sorry bout bein so bland on the first post......)

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:45 am

Switched power from battery to ign is fine but you cant just go from battery to starter without a nuetral safety switch wired in between the momentary button. It can be done but it wont pass tech at the track and its not a safe thing to do. Wiring these two things should have no effect on your charging system your key switdh will still excite the alt and as long as you have a wire fron the alt to the battery it will still charge.Just check everthing with a voltmeter when you done.