winter changes/upgrades

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

Re: winter changes/upgrades

#211 Post by wikd69 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:01 pm

DOTracer wrote:Got some work accomplished last evening and this afternoon.

That's the good news, but I do have some rather disturbing news.

Last evening I found the doors in the way so I lifted them off for easier access. I hung most of the parts in the basement, but needed help to hang the doors, so I backed my truck out of it's bay and layed the doors on a packing blanket. This morning I headed out to gather some supplies and when I got home, not thinking of course, opened the door, drove in with the truck and proceeded to drive over the drivers side door. :oops: :cry:

Our driveway is uphill and with as high as the truck sits, you really can't see anything on the floor as you pull in. Stupid mistake on my part, can't believe I did that.

Somebody kick me.

Called my body guy, he said bring it by Monday and he'll see what can be done with repairs. It looks nasty in spots, but it still fits the car perfectly, so I think it's salvageable. Fingers crossed.
Well look at the bright side: At least you have the initial trauma of the first ding/dent/scratch/bash behind you now :smt003
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

#212 Post by John_Heard » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Looks good - but hey, put a blanket on the floorboard you're dragging in dirt over there lol..

That sucks about the door. I'm sure it made you sick.

wikd69

#213 Post by wikd69 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:22 pm

wikd69 wrote:

Last evening I found the doors in the way so I lifted them off for easier access. I hung most of the parts in the basement, but needed help to hang the doors, so I backed my truck out of it's bay and layed the doors on a packing blanket. This morning I headed out to gather some supplies and when I got home, not thinking of course, opened the door, drove in with the truck and proceeded to drive over the drivers side door. :oops: :cry:

Our driveway is uphill and with as high as the truck sits, you really can't see anything on the floor as you pull in. Stupid mistake on my part, can't believe I did that.

Somebody kick me.

Called my body guy, he said bring it by Monday and he'll see what can be done with repairs. It looks nasty in spots, but it still fits the car perfectly, so I think it's salvageable. Fingers crossed.
Well look at the bright side: At least you have the initial trauma of the first ding/dent/scratch/bash behind you now :smt003
Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your bad luck here. Like John said, it really sucks that this happened.

A question for you...

I went back and looked at your earlier photos and have been wondering: How do you fabricate irregular shapes, like those for your door hinge plates, etc. ? They all look so uniform and clean, like they were stamped out at the factory with a die - do you free hand them on a band saw ?

This is one of the the photos I was focusing on...

DOTracer

#214 Post by DOTracer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:48 pm

wikd69 wrote:
wikd69 wrote:

Somebody kick me.

Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your bad luck here. Like John said, it really sucks that this happened.

A question for you...

I went back and looked at your earlier photos and have been wondering: How do you fabricate irregular shapes, like those for your door hinge plates, etc. ? They all look so uniform and clean, like they were stamped out at the factory with a die - do you free hand them on a band saw ?

This is one of the the photos I was focusing on...

Thanks guys, definately a dumb move on my part, but I gotta get over it. Hopefully staying busy working on the car will help forget about the bonehead move I did on the door.

Not sure what you mean by the irregular shapes. The flat plates that bolt to the door post, if they are all the same shape/size, I'll rough cut all four on the band saw, drill the holes, then bolt them together and sand/grind the edges down so they are the exact same size. I then use a deburing wheel on a bench grinder to polish the edges.

The rest of the parts like the pins, etc are made on the lathe in several parts and welded together. Very time consuming process doing F/G doors, but we've gotten a system down that allows the doors to operate and shut like a stock door.

wikd69

#215 Post by wikd69 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 pm

[quote="DOTracer]
Not sure what you mean by the irregular shapes. The flat plates that bolt to the door post, if they are all the same shape/size, I'll rough cut all four on the band saw, drill the holes, then bolt them together and sand/grind the edges down so they are the exact same size. I then use a deburing wheel on a bench grinder to polish the edges.

The rest of the parts like the pins, etc are made on the lathe in several parts and welded together. Very time consuming process doing F/G doors, but we've gotten a system down that allows the doors to operate and shut like a stock door.[/quote]

That makes sense. If I had floor space in my little shop, I'd probably add a flatbed lathe and a vertical mill to the mix here, it'd sure make things easier doing fab work.

DOTracer

#216 Post by DOTracer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:44 pm

Both of those come in very handy. We had a 20" disc sander that I loved and used every day. Sadly the motor burnt up after only one year, cost prohibitive to fix or replace the motor. I sure miss that thing as it was awesome to make stuff like this.

DOTracer

#217 Post by DOTracer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 am

Door damage pics.

Top of door outside.

Top of door inside.

Bottom of door outside.

Bottom of door inside.

sc racing

#218 Post by sc racing » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:29 am

Door fix looks pretty easy ( for your body guy) it sounded like it would be worse but it will be good as new before you know it.
I have a question for you on tubing benders, I need one and was looking at a Pro Tools 105 or a JD2 32, Im not doing a lot a work with it so it doesnt need to be the best one on the market or hydaulic but if Im going to buy one I want a decent one. Any input on what to get.
Thanks

DOTracer

#219 Post by DOTracer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:46 am

sc racing wrote:Door fix looks pretty easy ( for your body guy) it sounded like it would be worse but it will be good as new before you know it.
I have a question for you on tubing benders, I need one and was looking at a Pro Tools 105 or a JD2 32, Im not doing a lot a work with it so it doesnt need to be the best one on the market or hydaulic but if Im going to buy one I want a decent one. Any input on what to get.
Thanks
Our shop had a manual Pro Tools 105 for many years. Solid, reliable tool that makes nice quality bends. Being manual it does give you a workout, but I have no problem recommending that bender. Does a really nice job. I have no experience with the JD2 although from what I see, they are very similar.

DOTracer

#220 Post by DOTracer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm

sc racing

#221 Post by sc racing » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 am

DOTracer wrote:
sc racing wrote:Door fix looks pretty easy ( for your body guy) it sounded like it would be worse but it will be good as new before you know it.
Thanks
Our shop had a manual Pro Tools 105 for many years. Solid, reliable tool that makes nice quality bends. Being manual it does give you a workout, but I have no problem recommending that bender. Does a really nice job. I have no experience with the JD2 although from what I see, they are very similar.
Thanks it seems the Pro Tools is a good choice. Car looks awesome so far!!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#222 Post by John_Heard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:39 am

You made a good choice on having the inside all painted like that, very clean and purdy. Hard to do that without stripping the entire thing down and having it all painted like you did.

Carolina Kid

#223 Post by Carolina Kid » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:02 am

John_Heard wrote:You made a good choice on having the inside all painted like that, very clean and purdy. Hard to do that without stripping the entire thing down and having it all painted like you did.
Like John said Todd, Very Nice Indeed!!

Hey John any updates on ol blue?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#224 Post by John_Heard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:11 am

Its been at the body shop for about a month so far, don't think they've started on it yet though. :(

While I'm waiting on that, I'm just messing around, putting new rings and bearings in the engine right now.

Bruce69Camaro

#225 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:00 am

What did you use to seal your tubs to the body?

Car looks great!
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch: