winter changes/upgrades

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: winter changes/upgrades

#376 Post by John_Heard » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 pm

That's too bad Todd, hope you can get it done like you want it and quickly at the next guy.

Carolina Kid

#377 Post by Carolina Kid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 pm

The man should have took one look at your ride and known you wouldn't settle for anything less than top of the line no matter what it was!
Can't wait to see the car when finished!
Been wondering why you haven't made any post lately.
Thanks for the update.

DOTracer

#378 Post by DOTracer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Well, the spare wheels have been sold to finance redoing the carpet. My upholsterer came over last evening and looked everything over. We discussed the layout and pulled the old carpet out. The first guy sure made a mess of my new sheetmetal just fabricated.

Anyway, the car is going to the shop not this coming weekend, but next weekend to get the carpet redone. Anxious to see the difference between the two jobs. I have no doubt this guy knows what I'm looking for and how to get it done right.

After the carpet is done I can call the glass company to get the new glass installed. Once that's done I can put the rear interior panels in and drop the car off for sanding & buffing as well as fixing the paint on the quarter panel the first carpet guy messed up. Grr

I have a local car show I'd like to make on May 19th. We'll see if things come together in time. Then it'll be time to get prepared to make some test runs after that.

wikd69

#379 Post by wikd69 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

DOTracer wrote:Well, the spare wheels have been sold to finance redoing the carpet. My upholsterer came over last evening and looked everything over. We discussed the layout and pulled the old carpet out. The first guy sure made a mess of my new sheetmetal just fabricated.

Anyway, the car is going to the shop not this coming weekend, but next weekend to get the carpet redone. Anxious to see the difference between the two jobs. I have no doubt this guy knows what I'm looking for and how to get it done right.

After the carpet is done I can call the glass company to get the new glass installed. Once that's done I can put the rear interior panels in and drop the car off for sanding & buffing as well as fixing the paint on the quarter panel the first carpet guy messed up. Grr

I have a local car show I'd like to make on May 19th. We'll see if things come together in time. Then it'll be time to get prepared to make some test runs after that.
Man, this carpet guy sounds like a rolling disaster area...
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

DOTracer

#380 Post by DOTracer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm

wikd69 wrote:
DOTracer wrote:Well, the spare wheels have been sold to finance redoing the carpet. My upholsterer came over last evening and looked everything over. We discussed the layout and pulled the old carpet out. The first guy sure made a mess of my new sheetmetal just fabricated.

You would have had to seen the carpet before & after I tore it out. I didn't take any pics because it made me sick and angry to look at it. Now a bunch of holes in my new floors as well as him caving in the floor under the passenger seat from kneeling on it. I don't even like thinking about it anymore. :pissed:

wikd69

#381 Post by wikd69 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:19 pm

DOTracer wrote:
wikd69 wrote:

You would have had to seen the carpet before & after I tore it out. I didn't take any pics because it made me sick and angry to look at it. Now a bunch of holes in my new floors as well as him caving in the floor under the passenger seat from kneeling on it. I don't even like thinking about it anymore. :pissed:
Man, that sucks. Sorry bud.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#382 Post by John_Heard » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Sounds like he tried laying tack strips down ? Bummer

BracketNova

#383 Post by BracketNova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Sorry to hear that. The car I did took almost a month. But a large portion of it was in the door panels.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 371b9eedf7

I did about 85% of the work. My boss did some of the tricking covering of the door panels (around the speaker pods).
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

DOTracer

#384 Post by DOTracer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:36 pm

BracketNova wrote:Sorry to hear that. The car I did took almost a month. But a large portion of it was in the door panels.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 371b9eedf7

I did about 85% of the work. My boss did some of the tricking covering of the door panels (around the speaker pods).
That looks awesome!

You should be proud of that work for sure.

BracketNova

#385 Post by BracketNova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks, it was my first one. Not bad for the sales rep (at that time, I'm no longer with them) of the company doing it. The car had sat for a week or two and no one touched it. It was getting close to May...I explained to the guys that the owner will most likely want it back soon. So under their direction I got after it. Did it how I'd want my car done (as anyone should) and got it back to him just before his engine was ready :) He seemed pleased.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

3330 lbs

wikd69

#386 Post by wikd69 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:22 pm

BracketNova wrote:Thanks, it was my first one. Not bad for the sales rep (at that time, I'm no longer with them) of the company doing it. The car had sat for a week or two and no one touched it. It was getting close to May...I explained to the guys that the owner will most likely want it back soon. So under their direction I got after it. Did it how I'd want my car done (as anyone should) and got it back to him just before his engine was ready :) He seemed pleased.
Great job on that one ! :thumb:

Thats one of the next changes to the Camaro - interior along with paint. Neither of those are something I'm good at.

DOTracer

#387 Post by DOTracer » Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Well carpet party II is done. Without a doubt, the second job came out MUCH better than the first. This is exactly what I had pictured in my head it would look like. Not cheap, but after the first job, well worth the expense.

Carpet is the best grade he can get, some padding & heat shield on the forward floors, tubs covered in a high grade vinyl sewn on the edge and glued in place.

I hope to get the glass people out here Thursday and have an appointment Saturday for a front end alignment and new trailer tires. Next week I'll work on the interior panel install and some maintenance things to get ready to test hopefully on the 25th. I had planned to have the paint sanded & buffed, but will put that off a couple weeks so we can get the car back on the track.

BracketNova

#388 Post by BracketNova » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 pm

:thumb:

Check out my website...

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

3330 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#389 Post by John_Heard » Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Turned out very nice Todd!

DOTracer

#390 Post by DOTracer » Sat May 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Just a quick update.

Glass was installed yesterday evening. This morning I had new trailer tires installed as well as getting the front end alignment done although he didn't even have to take a wrench to the car.

Next project is some restoration work on the rear interior plastic panels and finish off the interior.

Once that's done, it'll be time to change the trans fluid, oil & filter, reinstall the diaper, check all the bolts and setup the rear suspension and scale the car.

Alot of little things to get done in two weeks so we can try and test on the 25th.