My new ride

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

ytnova

Re: My new ride

#31 Post by ytnova » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Yes, Febuary race. I'll look for ya. Hopefully it will be warmer than now.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Omega Dude

#32 Post by Omega Dude » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

I take it you'll be running a couple Bulls eye turbo's, those guys have taken the Borg Warner Turbo's and made them tough to beat.

I'll miss watching the White Nova making 8 second runs but look forward to watching you set new goals/records with the new stang.

ytnova

#33 Post by ytnova » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 am

Been a little busy, but here are a few updates. I went out and removed some parts from the mustang and finally got it on the rotisserie. I am going back out this friday to cut out the glass and hopefully finish up some metal removal, then it is going on the jig table. I also got off my wallet and ordered the rear rims so we could also start on the rear housing once on the table. I will post up some pics once they arrive as well as some pics of the progress. I did snap a few of george bryce's cuda that we had to move outside for some room. Nice piece, orginally built by Wizard race cars out of Louisiana, paul is putting on finishing touches, headers, cooling system, motor plates, wing, etc as well as the final setup. There are some other cars on property as well, but I was asked not to post up pics due to one off designs or they were secret squirel grudge cars.
Attachments
cuda03.jpg
cuda02.jpg
cuda01.jpg
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Bruce69Camaro

#34 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:06 am

Been following that build on YB. That is a nice car.

Good luck with your Stang build and get us some pictures.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

ytnova

#35 Post by ytnova » Sat May 03, 2014 12:29 pm

My new rear wheels showed up this week, I mounted up some old 28x10.5's that paul can use for mock up when building the rearend. I haven't been to the chassis shop in a couple of weeks, so no other pics, hopefully next friday.
Attachments
Resampled_2014-05-03_13-05-39_631.jpg

John_Heard
Site Admin

#36 Post by John_Heard » Sat May 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Looking good - Champions?

ytnova

#37 Post by ytnova » Sat May 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Yep, 15x12's with 4" of backspace. I opted for double beadlocks with the lighter cwi-x rings. I shopped around and looked at a bunch before i finally decided on the champions, overall they were the best bang for the buck.

ytnova

#38 Post by ytnova » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:06 pm

I have not updated this thread in a while, mainly because there was nothing to report. Now that Dragweek is over and I am back at it, here are some updates. We finally removed the rest of the unneeded metal from inside and underneath the car, ground everything down, expoxy primered it and moved it over to the jig table. We have the floor structure all tacked up and are working on the main hoop and mocking up the rear so we can plot out the anti-roll bar, shock and suspension mointing locations as well as send the cad drawings to the laser cutter to make the rear end housing mounts. Things are moving along quicker now so I should have some additional pics in the upcoming weeks.
Attachments
mustang3.jpg
mustang2.jpg
mustang1.jpg

ytnova

#39 Post by ytnova » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:07 pm

some more
Attachments
mustang6.jpg
mustang5.jpg
mustang4.jpg

ytnova

#40 Post by ytnova » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Last three
Attachments
mustang7.jpg
mustang8.jpg
mustang9.jpg

ytnova

#41 Post by ytnova » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 pm

And in other news, Draweek. For some unknown reason, about three weeks prior to driving all the way to tulsa from orlando(1300 miles!) I thought it would be a good idea to redo the nova, not my best decision, but it did work out. I decided what would make driving the car more fun? EFI, a single 80mm and a gear change, thats what. Well my three week thrash session was sucessful, kinda. I finished the car just before leaving and only got the driving side of the efi tuned, figured I would learn as i go. My week started real crappy after breaking the tongue off the trailer sunday nite after tech. The guys from gear vendors, using jeff lutz's tig, helped me make that repair during the drivers meeting monday morning only to lock up my electric water pump for the LS. Crap! Luckily I used a modified a BBC electric pump and the sponser PEP boys had a spare. That was pretty much my only mechanical issues, now to start tuning. My first and only pass at tulsa, a 11.20, not bad, but not what I was looking for. Oh well, packed it up and headed off to topeaka. The rest of the week was pretty smooth with the car picking up nicely at each track and running 10.60's by weeks end. Not bad considering I ran 91 octane all week, ran only 10lbs of boost and had extremely high air inlet temps due to me not installing a intercooler or meth injection. Since I have been home, I have switched the car over to E85 and it is like a whole new car. I am planning on going out and doing some testing this week if the weather holds so I'll post up some updates then. Here are some pics on how it came out.
Attachments
Resampled_2014-08-29_09-25-07_405.jpg
Resampled_2014-08-24_20-30-48_578.jpg

wikd69

#42 Post by wikd69 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:35 am

ytnova wrote:And in other news, Draweek. For some unknown reason, about three weeks prior to driving all the way to tulsa from orlando(1300 miles!) I thought it would be a good idea to redo the nova, not my best decision, but it did work out. I decided what would make driving the car more fun? EFI, a single 80mm and a gear change, thats what. Well my three week thrash session was sucessful, kinda. I finished the car just before leaving and only got the driving side of the efi tuned, figured I would learn as i go. My week started real crappy after breaking the tongue off the trailer sunday nite after tech. The guys from gear vendors, using jeff lutz's tig, helped me make that repair during the drivers meeting monday morning only to lock up my electric water pump for the LS. Crap! Luckily I used a modified a BBC electric pump and the sponser PEP boys had a spare. That was pretty much my only mechanical issues, now to start tuning. My first and only pass at tulsa, a 11.20, not bad, but not what I was looking for. Oh well, packed it up and headed off to topeaka. The rest of the week was pretty smooth with the car picking up nicely at each track and running 10.60's by weeks end. Not bad considering I ran 91 octane all week, ran only 10lbs of boost and had extremely high air inlet temps due to me not installing a intercooler or meth injection. Since I have been home, I have switched the car over to E85 and it is like a whole new car. I am planning on going out and doing some testing this week if the weather holds so I'll post up some updates then. Here are some pics on how it came out.
I sure like that build. Geezo, that's a huge turbo, isn't it ?

Sounds like your DragWeek was a challenge but you pulled it off. Congrats :)

I'd been seriously considering making the leap to a turbo setup but finally determined I'd end up cutting up too much sheet metal to do it right. I'm gonna stay with a roots setup but I'm moving up to a bigger, tighter huffer.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

#43 Post by John_Heard » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:51 am

All of the above very cool. I've been wanting to play with turbo's myself someday. I have a C10 project truck, bunch of big block parts would like to make a torque monster for it.

Nice that you are taking all that time on the stang, that'll be a nice ride when it's finished.

ytnova

#44 Post by ytnova » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:36 am

Thanks guys. Yeah, the 80mm is a little big but it does give me room to grow in the future if need be. I cannot belive how violent this thing is when it comes on boost and I am not even working it yet. That turbo moves more than enough air to destroy the little 5.3.
John, I think this same turbo on a stock/mild 450ci+ big block would be a monster, if setup right, I bet you could get it to start making boost by 2000rpm or so, perfect for a tow vehicle.

ytnova

#45 Post by ytnova » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 am

A little update, Back in the nines!! I made three passes with the best being a 9.93@138. Progress for sure with plenty more left in it at low boost. I was just working on getting it to build boost so it would start 60' decent. I need to do something to get the inlet temp down, I haven't decided on a intercooler or a meth kit yet. I think with some better inlet temps and a touch more boost, @15, it should run where I want it, in the 9-9.50 range pretty easy.