carb to hood pans

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

evil16v

carb to hood pans

#1 Post by evil16v » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 pm

what do you guys do for sealing a scoop or cowl to the carb. seen everything from fabbed aluminum, to Lexan, to Rubbermaid buckets (I'm not going there...). thinking maybe just a flat sheet with some 4" foam. i see Moroso has 4"x 60" for like $20 , but wouldn't make it all the way around with out buying two. any better sources of flame retardant foam? ANY pics? looking for some ideas. I already have a square hole, can't just use a large filter base. scoop is about 22" square.

attached pic of scoop i am using.
GS HPT 71814.jpg
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

bracketchev1221

Re: carb to hood pans

#2 Post by bracketchev1221 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:53 am

Use the moroso foam. You'll be glad you did with the first backfire. If you have the room, a flat sheet with a radiused opening into the carb is best. Look at the Moroso air pan kit. It gives you all the stuff you need, if the pan is big enough.

evil16v

#3 Post by evil16v » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:36 pm

yes... definitely want the wire retardant foam. the moroso kit is the kind of deal i'm looking for/ want to make, but it's not wide enough. i am running a 14x4 round and have a good top for it. the opening is about 19x19, so if thick foam, overall it would be something like 22x22".
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:00 am

Here's my setup.
I haven't proved it out yet so I can't give you any real numbers.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Have you trimmed that to fit your hood yet Bruce? Very surprised the top is not angled some, and shorter to match up with cowl hood.

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:10 am

Yeap the pan is trimmed, my intake only sits at maybe a 2* or 3* angle, so there wasn't much to trim.

Here is a better view of it and you can see how level the motor sits and if you notice, I only had to trim the front area of the pan and just so you know, I made the pan to be able to use with the air cleaner, but I run it without.

Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 am

Interesting, I would have bet that angle was off on meeting the hood curve.

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:25 am

At the front of the pan, there is a slight angle, but it's not too bad.

bracketchev1221

#9 Post by bracketchev1221 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:52 am

I'm curious to see if Bruce's airpan works. I would like to try it the next time out and see what happens.

Bruce69Camaro

#10 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:58 am

You can't use it.....4150 vs. dominator....or are you saying if it works on my car?

Bruce69Camaro

#11 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 am

If it does, I can rework the one I made for you.

bracketchev1221

#12 Post by bracketchev1221 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:19 am

I want to see if it worth anything on your car. It will PROBABLY show more the faster the car goes. I had always heard that over 100 mph is where a forward facing scoop showed gains. Below 100, the car ran the same. So with yours IF it works, it may show a smaller gain on motor than on the nitrous.

Mike Peters

#13 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Can't remember Brother Bruce.........does your cowl hood scoop extend to the windshield? I don't see any available photos to tell me You could see some benefit from sealing the available air from the otherwise heated and turbulent air but, I doubt with the air cleaner, you had turbulence problems. However, as John and I have discussed in the past, I contend the hoods that extend all the way to the windshield or are of the 5-6" tall variety, they will fail to take advantage of the high pressure area available at the base of the windshield which is why Chevrolet designed the cowl hood in the first place. One potential possibility for improvement is expanding the area of the pan around the front side of the air cleaner. I've read carbs like to draw air from the full 360 degrees circumference. Your air cleaner may be of a large enough diameter, it can still do this. Hope it works well for you but, if you don't see any improvement, don't be too quick to give up on the idea.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#14 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri May 01, 2015 5:17 am

Brother Mike, nice to see you came out of the woodwork...LOL

It's "NOT" the extended hood, but it is a 5" cowl hood.

For someone like me, this was a fun project and I made it, just to had something to do the one day and if it works, it works, but I also know to take full affect of this, I need to put some kind of inner fenders in to help with the "under hood" turbulence. I had a long talk with Bert Heck from K&N about this.

But like I said, it was a fun project and if it works, great, if not, back on the shelf.

Now Ray is different, he is looking for every way to get him and extra .10 and the first pan we did, didn't work out the best, so if I show some kind of a pick up with my setup, them I can work on one for him. I'm at the point where a .10 doesn't mean anything to me, but to him, you, John and the other serious racers, getting a .10 from a pan made by me, I'd be considered a God....LOL

But back to my pan setup, it does not extend all the way back to the edge of the cowl and I should make some kind of a flange that would seal between the corner of my pan and the opening in the cowl area to give it a better affect.

Again, remember, I don't use the air filter/ cleaner.