oven cleaner kicks butt !!

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

sixty_foot

oven cleaner kicks butt !!

#1 Post by sixty_foot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:46 am

at first this may appear really silly, but........at home in the garage, i have found that when trying to clean up a greasy block or heads....spraying on oven cleaner and let dry, will suprise you with how well the stuff works ! just hose off and blow dry......the only hard part is wether to use lemon scented or regular :wink:
speed..... is how fast you hit the wall,
.....torque...... is how hard you bounce off

Bobalos

#2 Post by Bobalos » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:19 am

Lemmon scented is nice, but the new Orange scent is my favorite. LOL. yea, its a great trick & works great, although im sure the EPA would not take kindly to it.

Bob

jjrambo

Re: oven cleaner kicks butt !!

#3 Post by jjrambo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:58 pm

sixty_foot wrote:at first this may appear really silly, but........at home in the garage, i have found that when trying to clean up a greasy block or heads....spraying on oven cleaner and let dry, will suprise you with how well the stuff works ! just hose off and blow dry......the only hard part is wether to use lemon scented or regular :wink:
Yes but then again engine degreaser can be cheeper depending on the brand bought, and it works just the same. but I have run into the ocasional position were oven cleaner can get a spot that the degreaser cant and the other way around, so it's good to have both around.
DRAGUNITED.COM A New FORUM

jones_performance

#4 Post by jones_performance » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:41 pm

the oven cleaner will get the hard stuff off better than degreaser since some oven cleaners have acid in them, mag wheel cleaner works well too. then use a pressure washer with a turbo tip on it, works great, only thing better is having the car acid dipped.
Kevin

stimpy

#5 Post by stimpy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:34 am

I used a plastic 55 gallon drum cut in half as a catch basin and used the castrol super purple ( a bout 5 gallons and sone water then I put the pressure washer feed tube into it and spray away !!! then if it needs to be soaked I just plop it in and let it sit ( covered so it doesn't evaporate ) when its done being used i let it sit and allow the gunk to go to the bottom and skim off the top and put the rest down the drain , the gunk goes in my oil can and it goes to the oil guy

Goat Hearder

#6 Post by Goat Hearder » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:32 pm

Found that soaking then put in plastic garbage bag works good because it seals it up as air and evaporation seem to be the real problem. Put it aside and come back later.