Hot Rod Garage Tips

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Hot Rod Garage Tips

#1 Post by John_Heard » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:43 pm

For some of you "old" timers, remember back when Hot Rod Magazine had a "tips" section in the back of the mag? Always seem to find some interesting tip there. Was just thinking about that last night for some reason so I took a picture of my air tank that has a handy feature on it..
My Dad is the where I got this idea, it's a quick fill valve T with a ball valve on it. This makes it real handy for filling the tank, then you just unplug it, flip the hose around and use it for filling your tire. You can also leave it hooked up to your air compressor to gain a bit more volume in the air lines. I leave it hooked up all the time to the compressor, then when I need it it's always full and ready to go.

Anyone else got some handy tips to share?

John

jjrambo

#2 Post by jjrambo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:55 pm

not a holf bad idea. I like that. Onces I bag my 92 blazer i'll be using a number of fiiting similar to this to make things easier.
DRAGUNITED.COM A New FORUM

dadnova

#3 Post by dadnova » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:29 pm

I use a metal fire exting. After there used they throw them away. I fill them with air and put a air check on it. Just sqeeze the handle.

sunsation540

#4 Post by sunsation540 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:55 pm

the best tech tip i rember was the one about changing flat cams in SB&BB chevys i'm sure it works on others but i never had to try... ever had a flat cam or a worn lobe that the worn lifter wouldn't come out the bore top, without vise grips and sweat. simple, pull the ofending lifter up in the bore. remove camshaft you have the card board backing from the Mr Gasket intake package the new replacment ones, it's 30inches long 2.5 inches wide roll it up put it in place of the cam push the lifter to the center of the roll pull out with pocket extension magnet.. works great save those lifter bores...
make a plan and stick to it !!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:31 am

I love that trick.. My grandpa taught it to me when I was about 10 years old. Except he used a cut down section of PVC pipe. That was my first time "working with the guys" out in the garage working on a motor. I rememember how awesome it was that he and my Dad figured out how to get those wore out lifters out.

I got the job of cleaning the varnish off of the pushrods! Boy was that a big deal back then lol..

Good reminder how important it is to take your kid, or grandkid, or the neighbor kid out in the garage and let them get dirty with you. Give em' a job no matter how small and let them help.

Uh.. Just don't let them use the impact for taking out rim screws hahaha.

dadnova

#6 Post by dadnova » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:29 am

I have to agree. People ask me why I spend so much money and time building cars? I tell them I dont look at it that way, I look at it as me and my son have spent countless of hours working side by side enjoying the time spent. If any man looks back to his childhood at his happiest time, Ill bet it was time where he spent with his dad. ( Thats priceless ). Do to this fact my son got a job as a labor, when the equipment would break he told his boss he could fix it no problem. He got a raise fast then ran the equipment, then his boss bought his book and my son now is an equipment operator at $34. an hour plus benifits. When he came to me and said thanks dad is all due to you and the time we spent together building cars. Well lets just say it was a vary PROUD moment. Worth more then every dime I ever spent.