Data logger

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

ROK

Data logger

#1 Post by ROK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Want to update my data logger. Need some feadback as to what are some god choices other than RacePak. Looking for easy to use and program plus good hardware and solid connectors. Any info would be very appreciated. We run a mid 7 second dragster.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm very happy with my RPM Performance Logger - http://www.rpmperf.com, several of us on the board here have that brand and I haven't heard anyone complain about them. Software is easy to use and setup - I guess my only wish is that I had bought more channels! Once you get a taste of that data it gets kinda addictive...

ROK

#3 Post by ROK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Beyond, thanks for the feedback. How long have you used the RPM logger and how is the customer support?

Any idea of how many others have the RPM logger...under 5 ...over 5?

clutchdude

#4 Post by clutchdude » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:03 am

I bought the rpm unit late last year, and have only tested with it twice. I will say that it was very easy to set up, very easy to use and on my second time out my car picked up .19 over my best ever! And the best part is...i see even more improvement available.

I would definetly purchase the same unit all over again.

Jim

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:35 am

I bought mine in 2005, probably one of the earlier users of that system. Customer Support is great, Randy's always been very helpful and has even taken a look at my data with me discussing some runs I had questions about.

I have no idea how many have been sold, but I did notice at the Clash of the Titans last weekend in Tulsa there were about 3 or 4 cars that had the system on there, mostly Outlaw 10.5.

Randy is also the moderator of this Data Logger forum, he doesn't visit everyday but you'll see some information from him here if you look at some of the older posts.

ROK

#6 Post by ROK » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:41 am

Clutchdude & again Beyond,

Thanks for the feedback. Did either of you have other brands of data loggers before or what other data loggers did you look at before buying the RPM unit and why did you buy the RPM?

I can tell you the reason I am being so cautious is I had an Altronics and it was a big headache. I don't want to go through the ordeal of chasing problems and always wondering if the data logger has a problem or if car/track has problem.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:37 am

Nope, never had another one before, this is my first Data Logger. I can't remember for sure what all I looked at that far back, I do remember Dave Koehler mentioning the product to me when I was looking into them. I think I also looked at the brand Monty Mikho was using back them - Computech or something like that?

I also talked to Heath Blanke about them too over at Neal Chance, he had a few customers using them at the time and they really liked how they worked. I like how the software works, it's easy to use. All in all I find very little to gripe about in this little unit.

nj

data logger

#8 Post by nj » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:40 pm

I have been an dealer/ user of the computech data pro since 1997 or 98. It is a very easy to used system that can expand up to 45 channels. We used it on our car and run 6.70's at 200mph. Sensor are very durable even thru tire shake and two stages of NOS. Let me know if you have any questions maybe I can help.

clutchdude

#9 Post by clutchdude » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:48 pm

This is my first unit, so i have a tough time comparing. All i can say is that it has been very easy to seup and use, and im not a computer person.
Jim

ROK

#10 Post by ROK » Tue May 01, 2007 12:11 pm

Thanks guys for the additional feedback. I need to get one on order very soon as the engine is back in and time to do the wiring.

Anyone else who vouch for RPM as a good choice please comment as it is very much appreciated.

DOTracer

#11 Post by DOTracer » Wed May 02, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm on my second season with one of Randy's RPM data loggers. I'm very pleased with the unit. Excellent quality, easy to install and Randy's after the sale support is second to none IMO.

It's amazing the little things you can find wrong with your combination once you have hard data to look at.

I didn't really look at other loggers as David Wolfe of Wolfe Racecraft recommended the RPM as well as Charlie Booze of Booze Brothers Racing whis was where I purchased the main unit.

RPM

#12 Post by RPM » Fri May 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the good things being said about our RPM Performance data logger. Its good to know our work is appreciated. I understand there are many data logger brands out there, and the choice is not easy. I have heard horror stories about the way some of the companies have treated customers. I can promise you that RPM will never mistreat a customer. Since I am obviously biased, I won't give you a sales pitch other than to say that since we started selling our unit 2 years ago we have offered a full, money back satisfaction guarantee on every unit. We now have almost 500 units in use around the world, and not once has any disatisfied customer asked for his money back. We are very proud of that, and we are going to continue to provide the absolute best in customer service so that 10 years from now we can still say that.

(In all honesty, I must say we did refund one data logger. A father bought one for his sons race car, and before they installed it, he crashed and was severly injured. He was no longer able to race and the father asked if we could sell the data logger for him to help pay medical bills. We refunded his full purchase price.)

Thanks guys for the support. Over the next few years, we will be working to convince everyone that we really do intend to keep all of our customers pleased, not just satisfied, but really glad they gave us a chance.

Best regards,

Randy McMahon, RPM Performance

novaracer

Re: Data logger

#13 Post by novaracer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 am

Randy...I cant get your web site to load is there a different address?
thanks
BC

bracketracer

#14 Post by bracketracer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:14 am

I have a logger but not one from Randy as I didn't know about him till I joined this board!! I have a computech and so far happy with it but "Unlike Randys unit" have no real support!! Randy has already given me some help with trying to get my car set up right and for that I thank him!!!

And guys lets face it he really didn't have to give me any help as I don't have his logger right??? But he did reply to my post and for that I thank him....A logger is not cheep for any of us and is quiet a nice toy :mrgreen: and like others it really makes you really scratch your head and say (after you downloaded your first run) ok NOW what do I do????????? :scratch: :scratch: Thanks Randy for your help and support and look forward to reading your posts that help us all!!!!!! 8-)

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 am

novaracer wrote:Randy...I cant get your web site to load is there a different address?
thanks
BC
Novaracer Randy's web site host appears to be having an issue this morning (www.rpmperf.com) You can see his products over on the Neal Chance site for the time being - http://www.racingconverters.com/dataloggers.html .