signs of oxygen sensor going bad

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

DOTracer

signs of oxygen sensor going bad

#1 Post by DOTracer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:37 pm

What are the signs of an oxygen sensor going bad?

I have a Daytona Sensors WEGO2 wide band O2 system tied into the RPM data logger.

Just wanted to know what to keep an eye out for in terms of the sensor and what symptoms it may show when the sensor starts to go bad.

thanks
Todd

ytnova

#2 Post by ytnova » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:26 pm

I don't know about wide band o2's but on late model obdII cars I want to see atleast .100 of a volt and above .900 of a volt and it has to switch in 100ms or less, this is after it warms up and while driving down the road, not idling.

RPM

#3 Post by RPM » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:51 am

Todd,

When the sensor starts failing due to lead contamination, you will get very inconsistant readings, and it will not calibrate.

It's a good idea to calibrate the sensor occationally to correct for the minor changes that may occur due to the leaded fuel. I do mine about every 20 laps. If the sensor is not in good condition, the calibration will not work.

Regards,

Randy

DOTracer

#4 Post by DOTracer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks Randy.

I do tend to take the sensor out and do a free air calibration on a ragular basis, most times it's very very close if not dead on. It's never given me any troubles so far, just kinda wanted to know what to look out for.