What do you suppose.......?

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

Dave Koehler

What do you suppose.......?

#1 Post by Dave Koehler » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:15 pm

The latest from NHRA.
As usual they never explain why. What do you suppose this is all about? Another Money grab?

"Beginning Jan. 1, 2006, all data recorders manufactured after that date must be NHRA accepted before being used in NHRA competition."

They do some things OK and then another boner.

Later
Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

RPM

#2 Post by RPM » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:05 pm

I had not heard that yet, and I will need to check into the acceptance procedure.

As to a reason they would do it, they are probably trying to eliminate those units that are currently in violation of rules such as "the data logger may not display any information to the driver". The unrestricted use of ANY data logger with programmable outputs would open up a lot of ways for a bracket racer to cheat. I had wondered when they would begin to enforce the rules that were already in place. Several data loggers are providing programable outputs that could be used to unfair advantage in bracket races.

Randy

Dave Koehler

#3 Post by Dave Koehler » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:37 am

This rule was in the general regs section. It does not specify national events or any particular class so they left it open to their interpretation. It will be interesting to see what follows. IF it is aimed at brackets cars it was a waste of paper.

"the data logger may not display any information to the driver".
That, to me, is still a real grey area. Might as well pull out ALL gauges including the autometer playbacks and racepak "guages". :wink:

Are top fuel guys really that quick reacting to tire spin or does a light turn on? Is that cheating? Does this fall under "feedback"?

Personally, I think that, if bracket racing is the target then the horse has already left the gate. It has been shown time and time again that Cheaters do not need a conventional logger to do their unworthy deed.
These "cheaters" are real smart people or they hire smart people and right now one them out there is likely chuckling at this new rule.

Not that anyone listened but I lobbied that bracket cars be allowed loggers. I contended that they were more of a help to the less capable tuners than those that already are veterans and winners. In turn if this prevented oil downs it was a good thing. The list goes on.

The Automater playback tach was first on the scene and the rules makers turned a blind eye. Does anyone not know why? $$$
I knew and cheered when RacePak started pushing their logging gauges that the game was over. Give the guages whatever name you want they are loggers. Full size loggers now had to be admitted and so they were last year.

For the coporate conspiracy fans:
1: They will charge the logger mfgs a tag fee.
2: The ole boy network wants to force out the smaller logger companies.

I will be interested to hear what you find out. Maybe it's much ado about nothing.

Have a safe race
Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler

#4 Post by Dave Koehler » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:56 am

Rumor has it that MSD bought RacePak.
That should prove interesting in the mix of things.
Dave Koehler

JeffMcKC

#5 Post by JeffMcKC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:32 pm

I know when we where running guys where staging the car and rollout by them, to get the car in at the same place every time
2007 HotRod's Drag Week 2007 SB/NA Champ
9.95@134, 1.30 60' Stock Susp. Drag Radials
5 Days 5 Tracks make one Weak