Wide band

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

Goat Hearder

Wide band

#1 Post by Goat Hearder » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Old fart does not have a clue. Was thinking about a wide band for the ole Goat. I assume a min of 2 would be needed as a minium of 1 for each bank. Who has had exp. with? I am not looking for product endorsement, but it is nice to know peoples expeariances. Thanks :-) ps new engine old tri-power, need all the tunning help I can get!

RPM

#2 Post by RPM » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:06 am

The wide band O2s do have advantages over EGTs. The EGT target temperature will vary according to combustion chamber and piston combination, but the O2 is reading direct Air Fuel ratio, and is more consistent. In typical installations, one O2 in each collector is sufficient, however you need to consider the placement of the O2 sensor and be aware of what it is actually seeing. In open collector applications, the O2 needs to be as far forward in the collector as possible. This reduces the effects of reversion that can affect the reading. The down side is that the majority of the exhaust gas that is passing over the sensor is comming from one or two cylinders and you are not reading a true average of all four cylinders. If mufflers are present, the sensor can be installed downstream, allowing for mixing of the exhausts, providing a better average reading of all cylinders. The available O2s are sensitive enough to allow for fine tuning of the air bleeds in carbureted applications and tuning the fuel maps in Injected engines.

Goat Hearder

#3 Post by Goat Hearder » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks for the response. I have not had much time lately to get online.
Have a Great day and Thanks again!