Trans Input Shaft RPM Logging

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

CoMax Racing

Trans Input Shaft RPM Logging

#1 Post by CoMax Racing » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:43 pm

I am about to purchase a DataLogger and have an installation question. I have a Lenco trans and want to read, among other things, input shaft rpm, I have found a candlestick with the sensor port in it. My question is, how do you place the magnets on the input shaft? There doesn't seem to be enough room for a slit collar, do you just epoxy the magnets right to the shaft? My other question is how many magnets do you need?

Thanks
Corey

vegaracer

Re: Trans Input Shaft RPM Logging

#2 Post by vegaracer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:27 pm

I've seen the input drums drilled and then the magents are epoxied into that hole. Then the case is drilled and tapped for the pick-up. This was on a lencodrive.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 am

Make sure and find out how many magnets (1 or more?) to use on this, check with the Data Logger guys which what's needed for your third rpm channel.

CoMax Racing

#4 Post by CoMax Racing » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:39 am

vegaracer wrote:I've seen the input drums drilled and then the magents are epoxied into that hole. Then the case is drilled and tapped for the pick-up. This was on a lencodrive.

They must not have drilled the hole completely through the drum but just milled an indentation due to the splines on the interior of the drum. I could see that working as long as the oil in the trans doesn't effect the reading, and the magnets don't cause any balance issues.

RPM

#5 Post by RPM » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:17 pm

The magnet (just 1) is installed in the input shaft. Typically, this is done by Lenco. You can send them your shaft and they will install the magnet. They will need to know the depth of your can and which type candlestick you have.

Randy

CoMax Racing

#6 Post by CoMax Racing » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:59 pm

I talked to Lenco and they said its a pretty easy procedure, just drill a hole 1.625" from the end of the shaft and sink a .250" magnet in. He said that the magnet should be about .200 thick, can you get different thickness magnets?

Thanks
Corey

sc68z28

#7 Post by sc68z28 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:37 pm

RPM wrote:The magnet (just 1) is installed in the input shaft. Typically, this is done by Lenco. You can send them your shaft and they will install the magnet. They will need to know the depth of your can and which type candlestick you have. Randy
X2. I had G-force do mine when they had my trans, $50.
Then I just needed a compatable sensor (PCS had a hall effect) and install it.

---Bill.
68 Camaro, 380ci, Procharger, G-force 5 speed, EFI, 7" 2 disc clutch, best ET 8.69 @159
Best 60' vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLzx5jBo4w