Dominator TPS ?

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

John_Heard
Site Admin

Dominator TPS ?

#1 Post by John_Heard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm looking for a GM Style 0-5VDC TPS setup to work on a Holley Dominator, anyone seen one of these setups?

vegaracer

Re: Dominator TPS ?

#2 Post by vegaracer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:23 pm

This is for a 4150 flanged carb, and I don't know what kind of output signal it is, but it may work.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcar ... 265&page=3
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Hmm - that doesn't look very complicated. I may have to try and make one of those. Does anyone know if a standard GM TPS is 0-5VDC ? 2 wire ?

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:44 pm

Pretty much every tps on all domestic cars(prior to 2004 or 2004) are 3 wire. One of the wires is a +5 volt reference, one is a voltage return and one is the signal itself. The biggest question is do you want one that goes 0-5 with zero being throttle closed or if you want 5-0 with 5 volts being throttle closed. Have you thought about using a gas pedal with a tps like any of the new drive by wire vehicles? It might be worth looking at something like a late model(2005 or newer) gm truck or car and seeing if you can adapt that to your throttle pedal assembly, I will have to pull up a wiring diagram and see which way it goes.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:11 pm

I can use either one, but would prefer 5v output at 100% throttle. Can't really use a gas pedal style, I have a smith race craft mechanical linkage in the car I just got done putting in it. Might be able to mount something to it though vs at the carb. TPS is just a rotary potentiometer isn't it? If so I only need to use 2 of the three wires. 5vdc in and signal out right?

ytnova

#6 Post by ytnova » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 am

Yes it is just a potentiometer, and yes you should only have to use two of the three wires. I will pull up some diagrams and see what I can find for ya. I realize you don't have a mount yet, but is there any preference as to what design you need? A buddy of mine made a throttle body for his cheap FI sytem and used a dominator main body and base plate. I am not sure what he used for a tps, but I will see what I can find out.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:32 am

I was eyeballing the carb the other night, because the dominator doesn't have the throttle shafts extend past the baseplates, there really isn't a place too hook on to the opposite side of the throttle shaft like a 4150 does. So I'm thinking I'll probably have to rig up a connecting rod of some sort to it. Actually it would be a lot cleaner if I could put it on the throttle pedal inside the car, that would get ride of some wires going into the engine compartment. I really need to take a look at the different TPS models that are available, sounds like a trip to the junkyard might be in order.