Digital dashboard

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

Dave Koehler

Digital dashboard

#1 Post by Dave Koehler » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Anyone know of a digital dash that could tie in and use the same sensors as RPM or other loggers?

What about a standalone dash the has programmable readouts but does not log?

Need something Top Fuel tough and bracket race priced. :nutkick:

Thanks

Dave Koehler
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

Scott Coxwell

Re: Digital dashboard

#2 Post by Scott Coxwell » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Hello Dave,

I am one of those guys waiting on Randy to get us a dash up and going for his RPM system.. I do understand that he has it in the works..

Scott
ImageImageImageImage

dragrace67camro

#3 Post by dragrace67camro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 pm

I also have one of randys Data loggers and cant wait to see what he comes up with
1967 chevy Camaro 500 cu 13.5to 1 comp.

bracketracer

#4 Post by bracketracer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Computech has one :mrgreen:

dragrace67camro

#5 Post by dragrace67camro » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:36 am

I am really wanting one that will work with Randys System - I just added Air/ Fuel 02 and Fuel press. and his system works GREAT - also when you have a question or problem you have someone to call
thank you
1967 chevy Camaro 500 cu 13.5to 1 comp.

julven

#6 Post by julven » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Anyone heard anything about a digital dash for the RPM yet? I am getting ready to buy and this is one thing keeping me on the fence is I want a dash unit.

RPM

#7 Post by RPM » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 am

We have been looking into the dash proposition for some time, and there is one major stumbling block. According to the NHRA rules, the digital dashes that are displaying information provided by a data logger are not legal in sportsman classes. General regs 9:2 "the transmission or display of any vehicle performance data gathered or processed by the data recorder, to the driver or any remote location during the run is prohibited. Data may be viewed only after the run". The only exception to this appears in the accepted data logger list where "Racepak with Dash" is approved for Pro Classes only.

To my knowledge, the NHRA is not pressing this rule, however we have not been able to obtain any confirmation as to their intentions. If a dash is to be legal, it must operate independantly of the data logger. It is clear that RPM needs to develop a dash. This development is an expensive proposition, and we are trying to come up with a reasonable configuration that will be legal and still satisfy your needs without a ton of additional cables. I would really like to provide whatever you want, if you have any suggestions as to how we can do that and stay legal, I would be glad to hear them.

Randy
RPM Performance

julven

#8 Post by julven » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:41 pm

RPM wrote:We have been looking into the dash proposition for some time, and there is one major stumbling block. According to the NHRA rules, the digital dashes that are displaying information provided by a data logger are not legal in sportsman classes. General regs 9:2 "the transmission or display of any vehicle performance data gathered or processed by the data recorder, to the driver or any remote location during the run is prohibited. Data may be viewed only after the run". The only exception to this appears in the accepted data logger list where "Racepak with Dash" is approved for Pro Classes only.

To my knowledge, the NHRA is not pressing this rule, however we have not been able to obtain any confirmation as to their intentions. If a dash is to be legal, it must operate independantly of the data logger. It is clear that RPM needs to develop a dash. This development is an expensive proposition, and we are trying to come up with a reasonable configuration that will be legal and still satisfy your needs without a ton of additional cables. I would really like to provide whatever you want, if you have any suggestions as to how we can do that and stay legal, I would be glad to hear them.

Randy
RPM Performance
Thanks for the reply. I had a nice talk with one of your guys yesterday. I will be calling you later. Jason

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Those rules only cover NHRA class racing like the MSD 7531 box...

They aren't applicable for shootout type racing or anything else.

RPM

#10 Post by RPM » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello Again,

Good news. The NHRA is now allowing digital dashes driven by data loggers in sportsman classes.

Also good news. We have found a manufacturer that can make the custom LCD display the way we want at a reasonable price.

Best news. We are developing a Digital Dash for the RPM Performance, DL10 data loggers.

Randy McMahon, RPM Performance

julven

#11 Post by julven » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:29 pm

RPM wrote:Hello Again,

Good news. The NHRA is now allowing digital dashes driven by data loggers in sportsman classes.

Also good news. We have found a manufacturer that can make the custom LCD display the way we want at a reasonable price.

Best news. We are developing a Digital Dash for the RPM Performance, DL10 data loggers.

Great to hear!

John_Heard
Site Admin

#12 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 am

Great news Randy! Keep us posted...

soslojoe1970

#13 Post by soslojoe1970 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:43 pm

and 6 months later .......................?

CoMax Racing

#14 Post by CoMax Racing » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:34 pm

RPM wrote:Hello Again,

Any more on this? 8-)

RPM

#15 Post by RPM » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in finishing the new Digital Dash for the RPM Data Logger. Expecting it to be ready for testing by Jan 2013.

Randy
RPM Performance