Stick Shift Question

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

95RCode

Stick Shift Question

#1 Post by 95RCode » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:48 am

Been thinking about buying the RPM Performance data logger. I want just the basic system for now. Will this be enough data to help dial in an adjustable clutch? How do you determine clutch slip with just two channels? I know this is what the Autometer two channel tach has.

I have a Jerico and it has a place to mount a sensor on the front bearing retainer. So I would like to eventially upgrade to show clutch rpm also. I also would like to add additional items like oil pressure maybe a g-force meter too.

Does anyone have any stick shift graphs they could post or email me?

Thanks,
James

RPM

Re: Stick Shift Question

#2 Post by RPM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:28 am

James,

Clutch slip can be read with Engine RPM and Drive RPM as long as the trans is not a lenco style with clutch packs on planetaries, which can also slip.

The attached graphs show Engine RPM (red line), Clutch RPM (brown line) and Drive RPM (blue line). Also, in the lower portion of each graph, it shows the Engine / Drive Ratio. The second graph shows only the engine, drive and E/D ratio.

In the upper portion, clutch slip is easy to see by the difference in the clutch RPM and the engine RPM. The ratio line in the lower portion will read the trans gear ratio when the clutch locks up, so any reading above the gear ratio identifies the clutch slip, and relatively how much slip. If you notice, there is also some clutch slip on gear change, which shows up on the ratio line as a curve into the next gear rather than a sharp step, which would indicate no slip on gear change.

RPM
Attachments
CompA Clutch.jpg
CompA Clutch.jpg

95RCode

#3 Post by 95RCode » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Randy,

First off, thank you so much for the answer. Took care of my question completely.

How do you handle support such as questions from customers? Those of us who have
never used one before are just big dummies you know.

Just looking at the graphs you posted has me asking numerous questions. Like are the spikes
in the drive shaft rpm tire spin and what's going on in the first 1/2 second of the run? Also what kind of vehicle is
that data from?

Anyway I'm looking for a laptop now any suggestions on a cheap one just for downloading from the
data logger. Saw some new notebooks for around $300 but not sure if the 10" screen would be sufficient.

Any way thanks,
James

bracketracer

#4 Post by bracketracer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:58 pm

James, I don't have a logger from RPM but don't skimp on a cheep note book lab top get a good one so the display is clean and clear. Just a hole lot easyer to read at the track....I would suggest a IBM think pad ....#1 on my list :mrgreen:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:23 am

X2 - I don't think you would like the 10" screen.

If you can find an old Toshiba Toughbook, those work great and have a serial port. I have one I think I paid about $200 for used and it's my favorite for taking to the races. It shouldn't be too hard to find a used laptop with XP on it, not many will have a serial port though, so you'll have to buy a USB-Serial Adapter in that case.

Make sure if you buy a used one it has a decent battery with it. That's the bad part on a lot of old laptops the battery is shot or close to it and they aren't cheap. You might watch your local Craigslist, etc. to see what shows up. I've seen kids sell thousand dollar laptops their parents bought them for extra cash on there for cheap at times, course they might be hot? Who knows.

Oh - Randy is great on support, you'll get the best in the business. I don't know how many times I and other customers have called him up to pick his brain, or emailed and he's great at helping you get things figured out.

95RCode

#6 Post by 95RCode » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 am

bracketracer wrote:James, I don't have a logger from RPM but don't skimp on a cheep note book lab top get a good one so the display is clean and clear. Just a hole lot easyer to read at the track....I would suggest a IBM think pad ....#1 on my list :mrgreen:
Wow, that's weird. That's exactly what I got. Well they are Lenovo now, but same thing. I picked it up a couple weeks ago.

:)

95RCode

#7 Post by 95RCode » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:55 am

John_Heard wrote:X2 - I don't think you would like the 10" screen.

If you can find an old Toshiba Toughbook, those work great and have a serial port. I have one I think I paid about $200 for used and it's my favorite for taking to the races. It shouldn't be too hard to find a used laptop with XP on it, not many will have a serial port though, so you'll have to buy a USB-Serial Adapter in that case.

Make sure if you buy a used one it has a decent battery with it. That's the bad part on a lot of old laptops the battery is shot or close to it and they aren't cheap. You might watch your local Craigslist, etc. to see what shows up. I've seen kids sell thousand dollar laptops their parents bought them for extra cash on there for cheap at times, course they might be hot? Who knows.

Oh - Randy is great on support, you'll get the best in the business. I don't know how many times I and other customers have called him up to pick his brain, or emailed and he's great at helping you get things figured out.
Thanks John,

That's what I keep hearing. I'm about ready to order now. Just really want to monitor my clutch setup for now. Maybe add more later. So I would only really need the basic kit plus a magnet and sensor for the input shaft.

James