randy i need mud help

Discussion on Data Loggers, how to read your logs, what to improve, etc.

Moderator: RPM

krazyhorse1

randy i need mud help

#1 Post by krazyhorse1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 pm

hello all this question is geared toward randy but welcome all input. im building and open outlaw mud racer and was wondering if the rpm system would be benificial to my program i mainly need it for egine and drive train logging if possible suspension loading. if this is possible point me in the direction of what i would need and if the parts would be ok covered in mud. i run in mostly 200 foot pits but at times 300 foot ones. they are usually about 2 to 3 foot deep at the start but i get out on top from the first 15 feet or so. the last truck i built went 3.659 in a 200 foot pit. i run against the clock no reaction time. solo runs. the new truck is gonna have about 1800 horsepower so i need to know where everything runs at no time to watch gages when your doin a buck 20 through a ruff mud pit. sorry for the long post but i need some help. please and thanks in advanced.

krazyhorse1

Re: randy i need mud help

#2 Post by krazyhorse1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm

hey erveryone does anyone have any input on this i really need a data logger.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:00 pm

I'd think a data logger would be helpful for any racing program. I'd be concerned about the environment for the electronics though. Hopefully Randy will chime in here soon and let you know about that.

krazyhorse1

#4 Post by krazyhorse1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:41 am

thanks for your input john always appreciated. not only the environment concerns me. i really want a suspension data but was concerned about it just reading the bumps in the track. i need it for the initial launch thats what matters the most in my class because if i dont get up on top ill just be pushing mud the rest of the way.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 am

You can easily setup suspension travel for front and back, that along with the driveshaft sensor would tell you quite a bit. If you want to get fancy you can even measure the temperature of the mud as you go downtrack :mrgreen:

krazyhorse1

#6 Post by krazyhorse1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:00 pm

well john i could be wrong but i dont think mud temp matters but i could be wrong. it would be a great tuning tool

RPM

#7 Post by RPM » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Sorry for taking so long to answer.

We have done data loggers for mud racing, but the system is not waterproof. Most mud racers put the computer in a waterproof enclosure. It can be as simple as a tupperware box with a snap on lid. The systems we have on mud race vehicles are performing well. The sensors are not having problems.

Regards,

Randy

krazyhorse1

#8 Post by krazyhorse1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:36 pm

thank you randy thats about what i needed to know. the other thing is i was wondering about the suspension sensor is there a way to tell the difference between the ruffness of the mud and what the suspension is doing thanks.