Anybody ever bought a Shafiroff Short Block?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sc racing

Re: Anybody ever bought a Shafiroff Short Block?

#76 Post by sc racing » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 am

MMAX wrote:I finally turned the key on my Shafiroff 582 tonight. Sounded awesome, ran it for about 20 min and had no leaks of any kind...except for coolant. In the 20 min it ran it got up to 240F and overflowed catch can. Any ideas on cooling the thing down--I can't remember my 461 ever getting that hot. Griffin 31X19 rad, Meziere 35gph H2O pump, twin electric fans.
I remember an earlier post about someone overheating they tried all the usual stuff and it turned out to be a bad radiator cap. Buy a good high pressure race cap.

1320quick

#77 Post by 1320quick » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 pm

As I posted earlier, in 2002 I purchased a 540 Sportsman. Even had Shafiroff freshen it up after 3 years. I had a new engine builder rebuild it this year and he found out the deck height was 10 thou different between the driver and pass side. Really disappointed that SSRE couldn't even do the machine work correctly. Even thought it was a pretty decent piece, I won't be doing business with SSRE again....
Ron
71 Nova - 3300lbs, stock suspended on a 275
5.35 132MPH in the thin Colorado air

hsutton

Re:

#78 Post by hsutton » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:46 pm

67SS wrote:I guess my first comment would be, why do you have a world products block?

Shafiroff lists it as a

Dart Big "M" 9.8" Low Deck Block w/Splayed 4 Bolt Main Caps •
I definately wouldn't buy anything with a World Products block. Too many bad faith stories circulating about them, tell Shafiroff you will only buy an engine with a Dart Big "M" block. This might be best accomplished by going there in person. I got a pretty good set of "335 cnc" Dart heads from Scott a few years ago.

MMAX

#79 Post by MMAX » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm

The Ultra Street engines were only offered with Merlin bolcks until Canadian Guy had an oil leak problem with his. After that Shafiroff changed over to the Dart blocks for his Ultra Street line. My Merlin block so far seems ok and even though Scott has a 2 year warranty on his street engines, I won't be sending mine back if I have any problems...too much BS to have to deal with.

deckofficer

#80 Post by deckofficer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 am

I had missed Dave's post that you quoted. All I said on the other forums was the issues with the engine (coolant and oil leaks) and the initial response from Mike at Shafiroff's "not our problem". This engine was $2K more than a comparable built Dart block 427 by TriStar rated at 550 hp. For that extra $2K I would expect an engine that wasn't leaking oil and coolant, and if it was they would quickly remedy, which they didn't. It has now been a week since I submitted the repair bill of $216 to Shafiroff, no response. When I get good service or products I share in a positive manner on the automotive forums, when I don't, I share those too. If Dave thinks Shafiroff is deserving of praise, that is his view as an engine builder, but I do wonder how he would have handled the same situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, a builder is so rushed to complete engines that the proper time and care can't be employed when applying sealant to gaskets, insuring a good bead around each bolt hole in the gasket on both sides, and it is the customer's fault? I am only active on this engine swap over at CHR, where Nick has also picked up a crate 427 for his '32 Highboy. Most all the posts are about how the engine is performing but it did start with the leaks. For everyone that is following that thread, they are eager to see Nick's comments on his 427, because he hasn't got his swap done. Now you tell me Dave the engine builder, if both customers are happy with the performance of their builds but one customer paid $2K more and had both coolant and oil leaks, which engine builder is going to be favored by that group? I'm concerned that the same sloppy worked performed on the gasket by the Scott Shafiroff team might have been used throughout the build and anyone else should be concerned also. These forums are both social and informative for products and services.

And yes, I use the name Scott Shafiroff a lot in my posts on other forums because I understand the way search bots work. Had someone like me had the same experience as me and shared on the forums, I would have found those postings along with the 4 year old postings on Scott Shafiroff race engines and would have been better informed on their recent work. I post as a service to others in the market for crate engines. Since Scott Shafiroff has to date decided to ignore my request for reimbursement, I will keep forum readers posted on my dealings with him. It is a matter of principal that he pays me for the $216 bill to correct both leaks with the products his people recommended, and labor to clean the mess caused by the leaks. I don't give a fig about the $216, that is less than 2 hours work for me, but they should stand up and be responsible don't you think?
Bob

526 HP 556 lb/ft
Tremec TKO 600
1790 lbs

deckofficer

#81 Post by deckofficer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Scott Shafiroff made good on the repair bill. My hopes are that the rest of the build was up to his standards and gives me years of trouble free service and no more leaks.
Bob

526 HP 556 lb/ft
Tremec TKO 600
1790 lbs

#82 Post by 69434 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Yes a 434 with every upgrade available, then bought the AFR 245 heads.
My engine builder took it apart & put some trick rings in it & did his magic on the heads.
It made 38 more h.p. than the same engine he sells.
Shafiroff did nothing wrong, I just found a better engine builder... :D
'69 Camaro-N/A-632 BBC all steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXnE-MGxiz8