question on the 7531

MSD Digital Ignition Programming & Troubleshooting, Playing with Dots, Slew and other fun toys for traction challanged racers

Moderator: John_Heard

chpcamaro

question on the 7531

#1 Post by chpcamaro » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 pm

ok to start i have had it install for a while now but never thought about using the launch retard but i might now need it. ok i'm just wondering if i am understanding the instructions right. here goes
i set what i want for the ramp to be ok just for ease lets say i want it to start lauch retard at 10 dregee and works way to 0 degree (no retard) now to activate it i first send 12volts to the dark blue wire (it's just waiting for me to remove the 12volts right? :scratch: )then when i turn off the 12volts to the dark blue wire it starts at 10 working its way to 0 is this correct?
thats how i read it. i have so many things going on in the box lol so less for me to think about wouldn't want my head :pissed: to explode on the starting line next guy might not hook lol
thank you
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: question on the 7531

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:13 pm

chpcamaro wrote:ok to start i have had it install for a while now but never thought about using the launch retard but i might now need it. ok i'm just wondering if i am understanding the instructions right. here goes
i set what i want for the ramp to be ok just for ease lets say i want it to start lauch retard at 10 dregee and works way to 0 degree (no retard) now to activate it i first send 12volts to the dark blue wire (it's just waiting for me to remove the 12volts right? :scratch: )then when i turn off the 12volts to the dark blue wire it starts at 10 working its way to 0 is this correct?
thats how i read it. i have so many things going on in the box lol so less for me to think about wouldn't want my head :pissed: to explode on the starting line next guy might not hook lol
thank you
rob
In order to use the 7531, you really ought to hook the light blue wire up to your line lock. Putting power to the Light blue wire resets the data acquisition and engages the burn out rev limit.

The Dark Blue wire goes to the transbrake. When it's active, launch rev limit is active and the launch retard value will be taken out. So to be clear, this means your Launch Retard will be out while you put the car on the launch rev limiter. The time ramp on the launch retard starts when you turn the dark blue wire (transbrake) off.

Make more sense? Only bad thing about the launch retard, is it takes the timing out while your on the transbrake which might be hard on some cars to get up on the rev limiter cleanly. I don't know why they designed it that way but that's how it works.

Once you feel like messing with it, the Gear Retard function is really nice and gives you a lot more options as far as exactly when and how much retard is active at what time.

chpcamaro

#3 Post by chpcamaro » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:09 pm

hey john
well maybe you can give me some ideas on what would you think would be the best way to do what i want or am trying to do. i'm worried i might need to take some power away at lauch to keep from spinning and going no where. now also i don't even know if it will be a problem but i am trying to be prepared just incase
any input would be great
thank you
rob

p.s. thank you for your first rrply tho

oh and i do have the light blue wire to the line lock to reset
67 Camaro RS/SS

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:43 pm

The launch retard is the easiest one to work with and simple to get started with. If it's spinning pretty good try taking out 8 to 10 degrees for .5 to .7 seconds or so, that should help calm it down.

chpcamaro

#5 Post by chpcamaro » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:02 pm

thank you so much john :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
rob
67 Camaro RS/SS