nos progressive wiring diagram

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

chpcamaro

nos progressive wiring diagram

#1 Post by chpcamaro » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:59 pm

i figure this might help some people with wiring there nos progressive so i thought i would share my wiring diagram remember nos uses a ground switch to activate the progressive
rob
Attachments
nos progressive wiring.jpg
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Dykes&Strippers

Re: nos progressive wiring diagram

#2 Post by Dykes&Strippers » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 am

chpcamaro wrote:i figure this might help some people with wiring there nos progressive so i thought i would share my wiring diagram remember nos uses a ground switch to activate the progressive
rob
chpcamero,

Looks good!

My only concern is the MSD retard...they need to be removed from ground to activate and grounded to deactivate. The last two progressive controllers I wired (NOS and programmable Edlebrock) I looked at multiple ways to gain the ground for retards to work in conjuction with the operation of the solenoids...unfortunately all the manufactures are building these to pulse the grounds instead of power. Typically you could run your retard wire to the positive side of the NOS solenoid...it would get its ground through the solenoid and would be removed from ground when 12v was appied...you can't do this with the progressives. So the only way is to use a relay as you did, but only using ground...the problem with this is if you are using a programmble controller and you delay the start of the NOS...you are pulling timing as soon as the controller sees the trigger...even though it hasn't started the NOS sequence. For instance if you want NOS to start at 1 second after tranny brake release...your pulling timing at trans release...a full one second before your juice comes in...this is good and bad IMO. Good that the timing is out before the juice ever hits the motor...bad that you pulled a bunch of timing before you evr make it to the 60' beam running on motor...I guess a second timer, such as a digiset could be thrown in the mix to also delay the retard.
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Lebanon, OH
513-617-5717

Harry Clack Dragster, 388" sbc, 4.80 @ 141

1978 Monza, 406 sbc, 5.59 @ 125

chpcamaro

Re: nos progressive wiring diagram

#3 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:53 pm

that was something i didn't like was the retard trigger but like you said they use the ground to pulse the noids so you can't use that ground i guess a timer would be the next choice tho. my edelbrock was a lot easyier because it used 12v to activate it thank you for your input it was very informitive i love playing with wiring there's so much you can do with relays,capacitors,diodes,resistors and lots of wire lol
rob :mrgreen:
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com