Haven't been around much this summer...

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

sverbus

Haven't been around much this summer...

#1 Post by sverbus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Just thought I'd say whatsup to everyone on here and say that I've been trying to keep up with every one's projects, and progress on the track, but haven't had much time to post.

Gonna have a little boy here in about a week, and so had to get ALOT done around the house. Put a 352square foot paver stone patio out back, and the wife had my "Honey Do" list pretty long. hah :)

The wheels on the nova didn't turn for nearly 7weeks in late august into October. Didn't make it to the track this year or anything. Not that the car would have gone any faster, but still fun to go make passes. This winter we are kicking around some idea's for the car.

I'm going to for sure do my interior and put the rack & pinion on along with Disc brakes. But I'm also looking at building a super charged motor (6-71 roots) so that I can drive and enjoy it more on the street, and still have plenty of go for the strip.

I'm gonna try and sell my Dart heads (waaaaay to small chamber for blower motor) and pick up a set of big chambers, and get some custom pistons from Diamond and hopefully drop the compression enough. Having that 4" stroke and 6" rod is rough on compression...

Lots happening, but first gotta make sure that momma and baby are healthy...all that matters right now. But I'm living in the fast lane through all you gearheads...watching all your videos and such. :smt004

Later all...

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

Hitchcock

Re: Haven't been around much this summer...

#2 Post by Hitchcock » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm

sverbus wrote:Just thought I'd say whatsup to everyone on here and say that I've been trying to keep up with every one's projects, and progress on the track, but haven't had much time to post.

Gonna have a little boy here in about a week, and so had to get ALOT done around the house. Put a 352square foot paver stone patio out back, and the wife had my "Honey Do" list pretty long. hah :)

The wheels on the nova didn't turn for nearly 7weeks in late august into October. Didn't make it to the track this year or anything. Not that the car would have gone any faster, but still fun to go make passes. This winter we are kicking around some idea's for the car.

I'm going to for sure do my interior and put the rack & pinion on along with Disc brakes. But I'm also looking at building a super charged motor (6-71 roots) so that I can drive and enjoy it more on the street, and still have plenty of go for the strip.

I'm gonna try and sell my Dart heads (waaaaay to small chamber for blower motor) and pick up a set of big chambers, and get some custom pistons from Diamond and hopefully drop the compression enough. Having that 4" stroke and 6" rod is rough on compression...

Lots happening, but first gotta make sure that momma and baby are healthy...all that matters right now. But I'm living in the fast lane through all you gearheads...watching all your videos and such. :smt004

Later all...

Scott
congrats on the new baby! Hope all goes well.!
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

kyleracer

#3 Post by kyleracer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Not sure how a 434 sbc works with a blower but if you are only wanting looks you will be fine. If you are going to push it I would find a 350 and put the blower on it. The reason I think this is I had a sbc before and it was OK with the head gaskets as long as it did not get alot of boost. I got tired of fixing it all the time when it was overdriven - the blower ! The sbc are too small a sealing area even with copper gaskets and rings. I switched to a BBC and never lost a head gasket and had 0 problems. On the good side any blower motor gets alot of looks and is a blast to play with sb or bb :D

sverbus

#4 Post by sverbus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 pm

OH NO! Anything I build goes down the 1320 and hard! My 434 is an O-ringed motor Dart Little M so I run those Titan head gaskets and I currently have 15:1 and in 3yrs of street/strip not one prorblem. If it can handle the 15:1 beating the snot out of the insides for that long, I'm confident that it can handle the blower.

Trick is...to be able to get the compression low enough. I'm not sure I can because the deck of the block has been milled to straighten it up after it had to be sleeved. (got the block off of my uncle who is a circle racer)

That, along with the big stroke and long rod makes it tough to get dished pistons with enough dish to get low enough. But I haven't called JE or Diamond or anyone yet..simply going off of rumor mill.

I have to logically think that the torque and how quickly this motor revs now will be sick with a blower. I'm also going to inject it...not sure what system or what I'm going to use but I do know that injection is where it's at.

BUT, with all that said..IF I didn't have a Little M block, I would build a mild bbc and super charge it and be very happy.
'70 Nova
434 small block

Hitchcock

#5 Post by Hitchcock » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:42 pm

sverbus wrote:OH NO! Anything I build goes down the 1320 and hard! My 434 is an O-ringed motor Dart Little M so I run those Titan head gaskets and I currently have 15:1 and in 3yrs of street/strip not one prorblem. If it can handle the 15:1 beating the snot out of the insides for that long, I'm confident that it can handle the blower.

Trick is...to be able to get the compression low enough. I'm not sure I can because the deck of the block has been milled to straighten it up after it had to be sleeved. (got the block off of my uncle who is a circle racer)

That, along with the big stroke and long rod makes it tough to get dished pistons with enough dish to get low enough. But I haven't called JE or Diamond or anyone yet..simply going off of rumor mill.

I have to logically think that the torque and how quickly this motor revs now will be sick with a blower. I'm also going to inject it...not sure what system or what I'm going to use but I do know that injection is where it's at.

BUT, with all that said..IF I didn't have a Little M block, I would build a mild bbc and super charge it and be very happy.
Swith to alcohol. you will still have to shave down about two to three points of compression, but it will be ok with a blower and about 12:1
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

sverbus

#6 Post by sverbus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I thought about doing that...but unfortunately I want to be able to drive this thing and go to some of the bigger events around Columbus. So many good events/shows but I can't attend even 1/2 of them because I'm so limited now by my race fuel needs. The alcohol would be no different unfortunately.

I want to be able to run 94* when around town..and when I go to the track, put the 112* in it and change pulleys and put the timing to it and go have some fun. :smt005
'70 Nova
434 small block

kyleracer

#7 Post by kyleracer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Do they sell E-85 there ?? You could do as Hitch said with that and still cruise the streets. The higher comp will work fine. The new dig. boxes can be tuned easily for higher comp motors. The O rings will be a big help and alcohol and blowers love each other :thumb: It is hard to get a gas blower to work on the street and track. That is about the same as a converter for all motor or NOS it only works one way or the other IMO !!