solid throttle pedal

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

71 chevy

solid throttle pedal

#1 Post by 71 chevy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:32 pm

thanks for the answering the questions on the shifter mount. I got some really good advice so I thought I would ask here on the other thing that is bothering me.

its a 71 nova btw, with an ls engine.

I want to use a solid linkage with a drag racing style throttle pedal. I dont want to spend $245 on the SRD one.

my problem is that my dash bar is too far back(closer to the driver) for me to use it as a mount.

which pedals are you using, how are you guys mounting your pedals, and where are you supporting it.

thanks

supernova

Re: solid throttle pedal

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:26 pm

This is what I have, Jonh Heard has one to. I like it and was the right one to go with. I know it cost more than maybe you wjat to spend but it is well worth it. It's a Smith Race Craft peace.

http://smithracecraft.com.previewmysite ... orepro.php

What do you think John?
Attachments
Kevins_006.jpg
IMG_1089.jpg
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

chpcamaro

#3 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 pm

hey chris does the kit come with all 3 pedals??? it looks like it from the photo on there site
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 pm

No. You choose one. I have the one in the middle.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

HPDRIFTER

#5 Post by HPDRIFTER » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:36 pm

Can you mount it on the forward side of the bar that's too far aft?

71 chevy

#6 Post by 71 chevy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:03 am

i just cant see myself paying $245 for the smith one. they are just down the street from me, and they do amazing work, and ive bought from them and recommend them, but the price for that pedal, im sorry, is too high.

hpdrifter,
I found this today and it looks like it may be a way to go((kind of what you are talking about?). hopefully I get get more ideas so I can choose the best one

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:52 am

Really nothing magical about the throttle pedal deal, the Smith Racecraft one I have is a nice piece but after playing with it for a while I see some things I would change on it. For one, a bushing in the rod so that you can tighten the bolt up with binding the pedal, the way it is now if you tighten it up, you squeeze the bracket which isn't the best design, but it works and is how most of them are built. Also on the smith, if you have a throttle stop at the top of the rod, there is too much deflection in the bracket, and the firewall if you push hard. I made a throttle stop underneath the pedal going through the floorboard which allows me to push as hard as I can on the pedal, and it won't put any more stress on the bracket. I'm just picking at details, all in all it's a nice piece and saves a lot of fabrication time.

Here's a pic of mine, with the nitrous switch mount I made. You can see the nut I put in there for a throttle stop, which didn't work as well as I liked due to the light bracket and firewall deflection. But the nitrous switch mount looks like it will work well.

Switch Mount

If your going to make your own pedal assembly, I'd suggest looking at how they make Pro Mod pedals, go take a look at Bickle's one he sells and some of the other shops like quartermax for some ideas.

71 chevy

#8 Post by 71 chevy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:19 pm

hey thanks for the great information. did you fab that throttle stop bolt or buy it? I havent seen one with a big head like that anywhere.

some places have the pedal for around $45 so it might behoove me to buy instead of build but Im considering making one as a mockup to see where everything will go.

do you by chance have a pic of where you drilled your firewall hole for the pedal rod to go through? also, does it go straight back from the carb or at an angle.

thanks

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:59 pm

I made it, it's just a big washer welded to the end of a bolt.

On the firewall hole for the throttle rod, I've got like a 1" dia hole there - not certain of the exact size. I've modified the firewall for a boot to go over it. Man it's been so long since I seen the engine in it - yes, the carb is higher than the hole so it goes down at an angle.
Attachments
engine.jpg
firewall.jpg

vegaracer

#10 Post by vegaracer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:23 pm

71 chevy wrote: Image
That is very similar to how my car is done.
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

luv454

#11 Post by luv454 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm in the process of buildinging a 71 drag racing Nova too.I wonder why you choose the solid throttle pedal design rather than using the factory foot pedal?

Thanks,

sc racing

#12 Post by sc racing » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:33 pm

luv454 wrote:I'm in the process of buildinging a 71 drag racing Nova too.I wonder why you choose the solid throttle pedal design rather than using the factory foot pedal?

Thanks,
Cables can flex,bind,break,and have a lot of play in them plus you need a good mounting bracket which always seems to get in the way of something.The rod with heim joints or clevis is a much nicer and more reliable piece.

71 chevy

#13 Post by 71 chevy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:50 pm

luv454 wrote:I'm in the process of buildinging a 71 drag racing Nova too.I wonder why you choose the solid throttle pedal design rather than using the factory foot pedal?

Thanks,
well my problem is that Im using a 4barrel efi throttle body instead of a carb and the factory cable is too long(or too short I dont remember now) for the arm. If it would fit I would happily use the factory cable.

I wont use a lokar cable either. those style cables are worthless in my opinion.

Im also considering and researching using a morse cable but I think I'll ultimately go with the solid linkage

John_Heard
Site Admin

#14 Post by John_Heard » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:55 pm

I didn't like where the stock cable exited behind the head. Very little clearance there and the cable was having to make a real tight turn.

supernova

#15 Post by supernova » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:10 pm

John_Heard wrote:I didn't like where the stock cable exited behind the head. Very little clearance there and the cable was having to make a real tight turn.
That's why I didn't use the stock one eather.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs