X275 Rules Suck - John Sears loves turbo cars...

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

silvanova

Re: X275 Rules Suck - John Sears loves turbo cars...

#16 Post by silvanova » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

ytnova wrote:I am loading up tonight and heading up tommorrow for georgia. I will post back up monday and tell ya'll how it went. I spent the earlier part of the week at TRZ installing my rack and removing some weight, so we will see what happens. We are bringing a few cars to the race, mine, a green 88mm turbo mustang and a yates headed sbf nos mustang. One of the cars to watch will be my friend Clint Lonnon's black sn95 mustang, Bischoff sbf powered, and 2 new foggers. It has been 4.9X's on a single plate in X275 legal trim. I think I am going to be outgunned!
U running x275?
5.004 @142.6

ytnova

#17 Post by ytnova » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Yes. Are you coming down? I am not going to be there until early afternoon on friday, so I might not get any qualifing runs until saturdays session. Yeah Clint's car is rolling, unless he has problems, there is no reason he shouldn't be in the top part of the field. My buds Dave Hill/Josh S. green turbo mustang might be in the hunt also, we got in the low fives with it last weekend testing with a real slow ramp on the boost controller and it still has another 10lbs of boost to go! I was out testing as well and I will be happy with some 5.40's or better in georgia, it looks promising with removing the weight this week and then maybe getting after it with some jet. It has just been real hard to find tracks to test at that will take the power on the little radials. Also the nitrousaurus heater/coolers work GREAT!!! Thanks a bunch craig.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

silvanova

#18 Post by silvanova » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm

No our motor is too big. And i think the rules is too hard on big block combos. Making a big block weigh 3400 with one kit but a small block can run 3 kits at 3000 is ridiculous.

How did your car run yt?
5.004 @142.6

ytnova

#19 Post by ytnova » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 am

Well, first off, the track and track prep was very good, if your car doesn't work here, something is definately wrong, more on this in a minute. Second, Sam Hunt stpped by and said hi, but I must apoligize, I was busy pulling my hair out from dealing with the car. Lasty, I almost wanted to give away the damn car after chasing it all weekend. I made only one kinda good pass, pedaling it and short shifting it to a 5.60 something@127, on a little .082 jet. Everything we did made the car worse. More jet, less jet, shock adjustments, re ramping the progressive, adding 150lbs of ballast in the trunk, etc. I was willing to try anything by the time first round came up, but it still killed the tires. The car is back to its old habit of initialing hard and then blowing the tires off about 10 to 20 feet out. We thought maybe it was lack of power when the convertor locks up and it could not hold the front up, nope. I am currently under the impression that the front is just coming up way too fast and upsetting the rear of the car. The front shock are full stiff on extension, but with all the travel the front has and as soft as the front springs are, the just cannot cope. It kinda makes sense too. The car was working fine early last year and then I took 50 plus pound out of the front in early october and it was borderline working, but I just stiffened the front shocks. Now I took out another 70 plus pounds early last week and it flat ass doesn't work, and adding ballast to the rear was definately the wrong move. Anyways gotta work, I will post back up later
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#20 Post by John_Heard » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:25 am

What shocks you got on it?

Maybe running out of travel in the rear?

ytnova

#21 Post by ytnova » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 pm

I will have to check that john, it had enough travel before, but after moving some weight around, who knows? With the track having better grip than what I have been used to, I guess the shocks could be topping out. I also have gone up in air pressure in the rear quite a bit based on both video, the rim is pushing into the tire a bunch and wadding it up, and what other are running with the hoosiers, the car has responded very well to it, but it has had a negative effect on my other issue. As you can tell from the pic, the car is also in need of a anti-roll bar. I will have to check the travel in the next week or so, thanks john.

silvanova

#22 Post by silvanova » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 pm

we run 17 psi in the hoosiers hot
5.004 @142.6

ytnova

#23 Post by ytnova » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm

My car wads the hoosiers very bad that low, we ended up at 20 psi. I asked around and most others were that high as well, actually no one said they were lower than 18, but they were lighter cars as well. John, I think you have a good catch on the shock extension, I measured from mounting point to mounting point last nite, the shock only has 2 inches of extension travel, whoops. I never even thought about rechecking it, I had gone with a lighter battery, removed a second bottle and readjusted the preload back in october. I never rechecked the ride height or even thought about readjusting the height of the rear shocks. The back of the car is up about a inch+ from the previous time I had checked and recorded it. I hopefully will be going out next week and testing to see if the problem is cured.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#24 Post by John_Heard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:31 pm

2" isn't much, sounds like you might have a found something to test.

I've done the same thing before and forgot to check stuff. I lowered my car, but didn't think about the anti-roll bar binding up. When we got the car apart I learned the links were too long making the heims bind up and due to the pitch rotation they were also hitting the trunk where they pass through the floorpan. Would never have noticed it if I wasn't looking close at the parts and saw the witness marks on them.

DOTracer

#25 Post by DOTracer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm no expert with leaf springs, but I can tell you where we set the shocks at ride height. Typically rear shocks are set with approx 1 1/2" of shaft showing at ride height. General rule of thumb is you want at least 2/3 of it's travel in extension and 1/3 in compression...both from ride height.

With radials needing such firm compression settings, you will rarely see the shock compressing much at all. I think the only time may be hitting a pot hole driving through the pits. lol

71Hellride

#26 Post by 71Hellride » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:09 pm

ytnova wrote:My car wads the hoosiers very bad that low, we ended up at 20 psi. I asked around and most others were that high as well, actually no one said they were lower than 18, but they were lighter cars as well. John, I think you have a good catch on the shock extension, I measured from mounting point to mounting point last nite, the shock only has 2 inches of extension travel, whoops. I never even thought about rechecking it, I had gone with a lighter battery, removed a second bottle and readjusted the preload back in october. I never rechecked the ride height or even thought about readjusting the height of the rear shocks. The back of the car is up about a inch+ from the previous time I had checked and recorded it. I hopefully will be going out next week and testing to see if the problem is cured.
Silvernova told you wrong. I told him 17 but it's really 17.5, and this is with the tire cold. That's what I put it on when we first get at the track. They will grow around a pound after a little heat but never more than 1.5#. The car is pretty heavy and it's always worked for us.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#27 Post by John_Heard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm not sure what it means exactly, but look closely at the difference between the left spring and right spring. Interesting... notice the difference in the arc between the two. Have to assume that is due to the LR rising higher than the RR but does it also mean it's running out of arc movement on the shackle?
Attachments
ytnovaspring.jpg

ytnova

#28 Post by ytnova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:47 am

As for running out of shackle movement, I have sliders, and I did check for that and the roller has not been that far forward in the slider, it sits at rest about a inch from the back. I have a little grease up there that I used to check for forward movement. I can say that it is in definate need of a anti roll bar. I have not done one because I have been debating starting over with cage and stuff and just incorporating it in with that build, but from the way it looks, I might need to do one sooner than later. As for the shock, I used to also have it setup with about a 1/2 to one inch of shaft showing, and it will be going back there, just one of those things I spaced when making changes.

ytnova

#29 Post by ytnova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 am

I also forgot to mention that I have no idea which pass this is, but on the last one I made, I shoved 100 pounds of lead ballast in the right rear, that might explain this pic also. Any idea what day the pic was taken?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#30 Post by John_Heard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:25 am

Just thought it looked kinda odd the way the springs looked, I couldn't see the sliders.

No, don't know when they took that picture.