winter changes/upgrades

Fabrication, Welding, Shop Tools, Tips & Techniques

Moderator: John_Heard

DOTracer

Re: winter changes/upgrades

#361 Post by DOTracer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Getting to the end of the small fabrication projects. Last week I was able to get the door hanger for the trailer built, just need to find time to install it on the trailer wall.

This weekend I worked on the wheelie bar. This is something I've been wanting to try for a couple years now. We've built a couple singles for Outlaw 10.5 cars looking to lose weight, so this wound up being a slightly different (and shorter) version of those.

Complete bars weigh exactly 20 lbs.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#362 Post by John_Heard » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Real nice Todd - and the weight isn't too bad either. Why did you decide to use the spring style?

DOTracer

#363 Post by DOTracer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:47 pm

John_Heard wrote:Real nice Todd - and the weight isn't too bad either. Why did you decide to use the spring style?
I guess I'm a firm believer in spring loaded bars when using a radial/drag radial tire. My old S&W bars were spring loaded and I decided to keep it that way. Hopefully just temporary till I find the chassis setup to where I can take them off.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#364 Post by John_Heard » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 pm

That stands to reason, wasn't really thinking about the radials. I've got the mounts on mine to put a single bar on it with body attachment for the top bar, certainly understand wanting to use one till you get stuff working like you want. We can't use them in any classes, but for TNT not a bad idea at all.

DOTracer

#365 Post by DOTracer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:13 pm

One more small project to knock off the list. I built the brackets a week or so ago, just needed time and patience to mount them in the trailer. The inside walls are smooth with no screws, so finding at stud to securely mount the hinge bracket to was a challenge.

BTW, this is the door that I drove over with my 2003 Dodge Ram CTD front tire. lol

DOTracer

#366 Post by DOTracer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 pm

New rubber for the back of the Malibu. I'm too used to seeing the car with the mockup 315/60's, these 275/60's look tiny in the wheel well. Hopefully in time I'll get used to the look, right now not digging it.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#367 Post by John_Heard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:25 pm

They sure do look tiny, but if the ET's the guys have been running on them are any indication, they are quite fast!

Are they on 10's Todd? I'm curious about the new M/T 275 they came out with. Seems to be more like a 28x10.5 Radial Slick..

DOTracer

#368 Post by DOTracer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 pm

John_Heard wrote:They sure do look tiny, but if the ET's the guys have been running on them are any indication, they are quite fast!

Are they on 10's Todd? I'm curious about the new M/T 275 they came out with. Seems to be more like a 28x10.5 Radial Slick..
Yes, that is mounted on a 10" rim.

From what I've seen and read of the M/T 3754X Et Street Radial Pro is that the tread width is just slightly narrower than the Hoosier, but not by much.

The Hoosier is still alot lighter, where as the new M/T is only approx 2 lbs lighter than the old one from what I read.

I had a set of M/T's on order but cancelled it the next day. Right now the M/T worked well at SGMP on a tight track. I don't know if it's been proven yet on a hot greasy track and I think the Hooiser might have an edge on such a surface. Granted any radial is gonna be tricky under those conditions, but since I have a couple years running the Hoosier DOT D/R I felt to get me going, it was the right choice for now. Might try the M/T down the road to compare once the car is dialed in better and we have some data to compare to.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#369 Post by John_Heard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Been thinking about trying those Hoosiers as well, we have some 275 shootouts around here this year that my car would be legal for, but would probably need to get me some more rims or beadlock my 12's.

DOTracer

#370 Post by DOTracer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 pm

John_Heard wrote:Been thinking about trying those Hoosiers as well, we have some 275 shootouts around here this year that my car would be legal for, but would probably need to get me some more rims or beadlock my 12's.
I hear ya. I have two sets of extra wheels I was planning to use, but will take them to a swap meet on the 14th to try and free up some money to finish the car.

It's always something when doing a project like this.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#371 Post by John_Heard » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Hey Todd - what class and series do you race in ? Do they let in BBC spreadport heads?

DOTracer

#372 Post by DOTracer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 pm

John_Heard wrote:Hey Todd - what class and series do you race in ? Do they let in BBC spreadport heads?
Hey John,

A couple local classes the car will fit in well.

Main one for this season is John Sears' Ultra Street. The others are 8.50 index and 5.50 index.

All of which allow for spread port heads.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#373 Post by John_Heard » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks Todd - we were looking at making some rules tweaks and needed an idea on weight difference between Big Chief and Conv. Port. Looks like Cecil uses 150 lbs.

DOTracer

#374 Post by DOTracer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:18 pm

John_Heard wrote:Thanks Todd - we were looking at making some rules tweaks and needed an idea on weight difference between Big Chief and Conv. Port. Looks like Cecil uses 150 lbs.

1/8th mile Eliminator

BODY:
Fiberglass/Carbon body panels are limited to hood, rear deck lid, fenders, doors, and bumpers. Cowl hoods may not be taller than half way point of the windshield. Forward facing scoops are prohibited on power adder combos unless factory installed or less than 5 inches from flat area of hood. Inlets for turbos and superchargers must not be exposed to ram air

INTERIOR:
Aftermarket steering columns are allowed. Factory type dash accepted. Must have carpet.

ELECTRICAL:
Optical devices are prohibited. All entries must have operational head lights and tail lights.

ENGINE:
Aftermarket blocks and cylinder heads are allowed. All entries must utilize a single carburetor cast intake manifold. Motor plates and solid mounts are allowed. Engine must be in stock location. Mufflers are required on all vehicles (except turbos). All SB power adder engines are limited to 440 cubic inches. SB N/A limited to 470 and BB N/A limited to 632. Any engine in question will be measured with a P&G gauge. A correction factor of 1.5% will be used. Competitors may be asked to remove a cylinder head for bore and stroke measurements should any discrepancies arise.

INDUCTION:
Small blocks and BB N/A combinations may use a single cast intake manifold with single carb or EFI. Cast tunnel ram permitted on stock valve angle only w/ weight penalty. (See* below) Small Block N/A may use cast tunnel ram/sheetmetal/dual carbs w/weight penalty (See*below)

POWER ADDERS:
Nitrous limited to SB and BOP entries - Progressive nitrous controllers are allowed. Entries must utilize a single stage nitrous plate with one nitrous, one fuel and one redundant purge solenoid. Foggers must be disconnected and all solenoids must be capped off. Nitrous plates using fogger nozzles are not allowed. Jet limit/solenoid size TBD on stock valve angle with cast tunnel ram & nitrous.

Turbo and supercharged entries are limited to stock valve angle only. (SB CHEVY 23 DEGREE - SB FORD 20 DEGREE – 18 DEGREE MOPAR - FACTORY HEADED SMALL BLOCK FORD MOD MOTOR - LS CHEVY 15 DEGREE)

TRANSMISSION:
Any OEM style automatic or OEM manual transmission is allowed with power adder. Clutch assisted/clutchless manual transmission allowed on N/A. Manual transmissions must utilize SFI approved bell housing.

REAR SUSPENSION:
Stock type rear suspension only. Coil over shocks are allowed. Anti-roll allowed. Aftermarket replacement control arms are allowed. Stock frame rails must be in place, notching permitted. (N/A cars/trucks permitted ladder bar suspension without weight penalty)

FRONT SUSPENSION:
Factory type front suspension only. Coil over shocks are allowed. Aftermarket replacement control arms are allowed. Aftermarket K-Members allowed.

WHEELS/TIRES:
A maximum of a 28 x 10.5 non W slick, 28 x 12.50 ET Street or any 275 radial may be used on N/A, power adders limited to a P275/60-15 MickeyThompson Tire P/N 3754R radial tire. Wheel width is limited to 12"

NITROUS WEIGHTS:
Base weight includes BOP combos - 3200
All heads 14.9 and under - 3250
Any canted valve head - 3250
All heads 15 degrees and above carry no additional weight
Any 23 degree combo - 3000
Blue Thunder Cylinder Heads - 3300
Any 20 degree ford – 3000
TFS-R ford - 3100

SUPERCHARGER WEIGHTS:
F1A-3200
F1C - 3250
YSI – 3250

TURBO WEIGHTS:
T-76 - 3150
T-80 - 3200

N/A WEIGHTS:
N/A Inline head – 2600
N/A Non-Inline head – 2700
N/A (big block with standard deck height and conventional head) 2900 lbs
N/A (big block with tall deck height and conventional head) 2950 lbs
N/A (big block with standard height and big chief head) 3000 lbs
N/A (big block with tall deck height and big chief head) 3100 lbs

GENERAL:
No Billet cylinder heads/blocks
No Billet wheels on turbo combo
No Reducers on turbo or supercharged combo
Alcohol/E85 legal (meth injection legal on non-intercooled combo only)
All turbos and superchargers must be as manufactured from factory
No muffler required on turbo entry, required on all other combos
No bull horns
Gear driven supercharger allowed
Belt driven supercharger deduct 50 lbs
LS 15* add 50 lbs
Non Intercooled boosted combos deduct 50 lbs (no deduct if on Alcohol for fuel)
Leaf springs deduct 100lbs
Ladder bar add 50 lbs (except N/A)
*Cast Tunnel Ram with 4150 carbs on stock valve angle head on SB NOS add 100 lbs
*Cast Tunnel Ram/Sheetmetal/Dual Carbs on SB N/A add 50 lbs
Single 4150 carb/throttle body deduct 50lbs
V6 entries deduct 150lb

DOTracer

#375 Post by DOTracer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Very frustrating couple days last week. Dropped the car off for carpet on Wednesday, picked it up Thursday. Kinda surprised it got done so quickly. Once I looked at the work done I was in shock. Not anything like I had expected. I won't go into detail, but the work performed was not to my satisfaction on many counts and it will be completely ripped out and redone by another shop.

It's a shame as I waited 2 or 3 weeks to end up with a very disappointing job. Now the cars completion date is pushed back even further, more cost and missing more of the racing season.

I did speak today with the person who did the carpet work and we came to a reasonable resolution to the job.

I then called and spoke with the original upholsterer I use and were gonna try and get together one day this week to look over the work to be done and discuss how I want the job to look as well as getting my name on the list. I'm sure it'll be at least two or three weeks as busy as he usually is.

It sucks to go through this, but I've not made any compromises with the build thus far, I'm not gonna start now.

Now I gotta try and sell a couple spare rims to help offset the cost of redoing the carpet.