Very Bad Wreck for a Fellow Racer

Bench Racing - Misc. Discussions

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Very Bad Wreck for a Fellow Racer

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm

I was just reading this about a fellow racer and fellow PA resident, very sad:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... p?t=494897

I think he needs our thoughts and prayers, it doesn't sound good but I don't make the call, only one guy does that.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

Hitchcock

Re: Very Bad Wreck for a Fellow Racer

#2 Post by Hitchcock » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Hope he was ok. Thats a shame.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

wheels

#3 Post by wheels » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

Mike passed on Wednesday.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 am

That sucks... RIP Mike.

Mike Peters

#5 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 am

Yes.......RIP. :(

Not to be insensitive here but, I just wanted to take this opportunity to suggest to all of you who have roll cages and decide to drive your cars on the street that even a low speed unexpected accident could cause head trauma. If you're going to drive on the street, please pad your cages with the good stuff, not the cheap pool toy material.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am

Also from reading other replies on other sites, people are making "comments" that he was racing on the street, but from what I heard, that is "NOT" the type of guy he was. He would drive his car on the street but would save the racing for where it is suppose to be, on the track.

I heard he just changed the spark plugs and was out for a casual drive and then this.......

I didn't know him but his hometown is not far from here, in Quakertown, which is down towards the Philly area.

Very sad story and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Have any of you ever run into him?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

wheels

#7 Post by wheels » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm

I have been a few racing events with him, but did know him personally. A few people I know were good friends with him. This story is more tragic than you can imagine. The roll bar padding is a good idea.

apacheracing

#8 Post by apacheracing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:34 pm

RIP Mike, Very sad to see things like this happen all too often. If you havent seen the pictures of the car, I dont think roll bar padding , but you should have it in place at any point of contact, or even a helmet would have helped in this one. The car took a very hard shot in the drivers door. I started a thread before about fast cars on the street and how fast things can go wrong.

wikd69

#9 Post by wikd69 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:27 pm

apacheracing wrote:RIP Mike, Very sad to see things like this happen all too often. If you havent seen the pictures of the car, I dont think roll bar padding , but you should have it in place at any point of contact, or even a helmet would have helped in this one. The car took a very hard shot in the drivers door. I started a thread before about fast cars on the street and how fast things can go wrong.
Do we have any clue as to what actually happened ?
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

apacheracing

#10 Post by apacheracing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm

His Camaro ran in the 10. index. He had been doing some tuning, and from what I have read, may have gotten sideways in front of another car on a side road. Lots of info on yellowbullet about it and pictures of the car, I choose not to post them here.

Bruce69Camaro

#11 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 am

The pictures of "both" cars do not look good and if any of you know anything about PA roads, they stink and from what people in that area say, that road is not a good road, and has a lot of bad intersections.

This is an awesome tribute to Mike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwMBoF ... r_embedded

I guess we can all "guess" at what happened and we'll hear this and that, but only two people know, one of them is gone and I still haven't heard about the other person?

supernova

#12 Post by supernova » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

RIP racer Mike!
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Mike Peters

#13 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 am

apacheracing wrote:RIP Mike, Very sad to see things like this happen all too often. If you havent seen the pictures of the car, I dont think roll bar padding , but you should have it in place at any point of contact, or even a helmet would have helped in this one. The car took a very hard shot in the drivers door. I started a thread before about fast cars on the street and how fast things can go wrong.
The car took a very hard hit from the side. The news I read is he passed due to head trauma and it appears in the photo that the roll cage around the head area is still intact. Therefore, I would assume his head impacted the roll cage. The info in the threads posted about this tragedy state the car had an 8.50 cage in it but, unless I'm seeing things, it looks to me to have a funny car enclosure added. That enclosure would leave even less head room to avoid contact with a cage bar in a side impact. We all make choices in our own personal lives so, to all my friends out there, please be aware that roll cages without helmets and padding are not safe. It may not have saved him but, since he was clinging to life after not wearing one, I would think it would have increased his chances tremendously. Not preaching brothers....just stating the obvious.

RIP Mr. Romeo.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

supernova

#14 Post by supernova » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Well said Mike!
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Hitchcock

#15 Post by Hitchcock » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Very sad, now its about his family though.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter