What diameter converter

One of the most critical areas of a automatic race car

Moderator: Marty Chance

bigrev1

What diameter converter

#1 Post by bigrev1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi guys, I need help with converter diameter size for street and strip setup. It will be mostly street, but will go play on occasions. The engine is being built now, and is a pump gas deal. That me and engine builder is hoping to make over 900hp. The transmission is a 400 and gears will 3 somethings, I have not narrowed that down. So tell me what you think. And thanks in advance.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: What diameter converter

#2 Post by John_Heard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Power adder? N/A ?

bigrev1

#3 Post by bigrev1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:25 am

Sorry, I will be hitting it with a 300 shot when needed.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:02 am

Most likely you're looking at a 10" converter for something like that, but really you need to contact the converter mfg and have them spec out what will work best for your setup. You'll have to make your mind up what you want it optimized for on, or off the spray. You won't get one that works best if you try to compromise for either one. For example if you tell them you want it fastest on motor only, it's likely going to be too loose when you spray it.

bigrev1

#5 Post by bigrev1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks, John. So you think a 9.5 will be to much for the street? Not questioning your expertise just asking. I probably will have it setup for the spray and suffer with it on the motor. Or, if I want something faster maybe we can discuss me purchasing the Nova, LOL. Just kidding with you John. And thanks for the advice and the forum.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm

If the converter is built for 900+ hp motor and true 300 hp spray, that will be a somewhat tight converter, it would not be too "loose" to run on the street. And the gear you'll run for that combo will be typically plenty tall. But most people don't run their 900+ hp engines on the street all that much, kinda takes it's toll on rings, lifters, valve springs, etc.

Still fun to take em' down the road once in a while regardless :-)

Back to converter diameters that's a big subject, and relates a lot more to engine RPM too. That's one that our moderator Marty Chance is better at answering, he might chime in when he gets some time. Right now he's quite busy getting the shop back together after their fire. They hope to be back running next week if all goes well.

Example Marty's car has an 8.5" converter and he shifts it at 10,000 ish RPM, small block ford with F1C procharger. You wouldn't run "that" converter behind a nitrous big block, devil's in the details.

Marty Chance

#7 Post by Marty Chance » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:18 am

what is the bore and stroke on the motor?
900 HP is that before or after the nitrous
street driven?
Marty Chance
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com

bigrev1

#8 Post by bigrev1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 am

The bore is 4.600 and stoke is 4.250 it's a 565. And we are hoping a make 900 plus at the flywheel on the motor. It will be street driven to shows and just for fun. But I want itto be strong at the track.

Marty Chance

#9 Post by Marty Chance » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:49 am

A 9.5" will work best on motor
A 10" would be nice for street driving and nitrous
I cant speak for other manufactures but i would design a high efficiency 9.5" so it would be fast NA but not make heat on the street and still hold the occasional 300 HP N2O
Marty
www.racingconverters.com

bigrev1

#10 Post by bigrev1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am

Marty when will be a good time, to give you a call so we can discuss the details. I know things are hectic with what happened. Just give me a date and time. And thanks guys for taking the guess work out.

Marty Chance

#11 Post by Marty Chance » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:42 am

best time to call me is early am before the phone lines go crazy. I start answering the phone after our 6am morning meeting (6:15am central time) monday - thursday
www.racingconverters.com