Ladder bar car with bounce in the car

Suspension Tuning, Troubleshooting, Design and Discussion

Moderators: David Lemmond, Dave Morgan

Ironman711

Ladder bar car with bounce in the car

#1 Post by Ironman711 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

I have a 68 camaro it weights 2704 with me in the car. FL is 761 28.1% FR756 27.9% LR604 22.3% RR584 21.6%It runs 5.80s in the 1/8 on 175 shoot. The car has been back halfed with 9" and qa1 single adj shocks with 190lb springs. Shocks set on 9 Ladder bar is set on the lowest hole, the front shocks are comp engineer 3 way shocks set at 80/20. I do no prep with the car. The car drives straight without hardly any actually driving the car. When I take it to the track to get a time on it after the car sits back down even on motor you can hear in the videos and even see it. The car acting like it's loading and unloading but as soon as I hit high gear it quits and starts pulling really hard. My question is how do I get the bounce out of the car?

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Ladder bar car with bounce in the car

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 am

Bouncing is often something bound up in the rear suspension or shocks too tight. Might start with unhooking the shocks on one end and bouncing the rear of the car, does it move freely? Then set shocks on loose setting, can you move them by hand is one or both really tough to move? Full loose you should be able to compress them and extend by hand. If that all looks good, go to softer shock settings and test. Watch for things that might bind the shock when rear end rotates up and extends. You should have the majority of shock travel for extension when the cars at rest, like showing 1 1/2" to 2" maybe of shock rod. Laddar bar car should only go in extension when under power, you want most of the shock travel available for that so it don't top out.

Ironman711

#3 Post by Ironman711 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Could it be that my springs on the coilovers are adjusted up to high and working against the shock.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:02 pm

Do you mean they are so light they might be stacking and hurting travel? Yeah that could certainly be a problem if that's going on. However, again unless you hit a sizable bump, a ladder bar car should only be extending the shock from at rest, at least till you lift when it relaxes.